How do you strip paint from fiberglass?

Started by Beck, October 22, 2010, 11:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I'm looking at a project that would need a repaint. It is an old drag boat. The paint on the deck is pealing. The side has some trailer loading rash. With a metal car it would get baking soda blasted. This doesn't work well on gelcoat I wouldn't think. Do I recall that one type of paint stripper works on fiberglass? If so which one. There are caustic and solvent based strippers right?

Boat = Hole in the water that you throw money into

It seems like the older I get the less I know, or is that the more I forget?

unklian

I would hesitate to use chemicals on 'glas.

Charlie Chops 1940

Tom,

I don't like to use a chemival stripper on frp unless you know the gelcoat is good. If it gets in  the pores it's a b***h to get paint to stick. A d/a sander will do a pretty good job. No experience with the soda blasting but it might be okay. Have the guy do a small spot first.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I called my brother who worked many years in a Corvette shop. He said they used aircraft stripper. Do an area aboy 2 by 2 ft.  apply the stripper, wait about 10 minutes, and scrape off with a plastic scraper. Wipe it down with thinner and move on. He said it may help to start with a stiff hand wire brush to scratch the paint surface for the stripper to work faster. He also said to do a test area first to see how it works.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

I used to use a guy who could sandblast fiberglass and not hurt it. Also saw a Vette that someboy tried to blast and could not have done more damage with a shotgun. Soda blasting is probably the best and safest way to strip fiberglass but do your research because its no better than the guy thats doing it.On the other hand I Have done lots of Vettes and several boats In the last forty some years and have used chemical strippers on most of them with very few problems. If the gel coat is bad you are going to have problems regardless.  Good Luck
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Digger

Just another thought, boats have the color in the gel coat are you sure this one is all paint?
also when using chemical strippers they work better if you put a piece of plastic drop cloth or something over the stripper while you wait. It keeps the fumes working.

Digger

Digger

Quote from: "enjenjo"I called my brother who worked many years in a Corvette shop. He said they used aircraft stripper. Do an area aboy 2 by 2 ft.  apply the stripper, wait about 10 minutes, and scrape off with a plastic scraper. Wipe it down with thinner and move on. He said it may help to start with a stiff hand wire brush to scratch the paint surface for the stripper to work faster. He also said to do a test area first to see how it works.

Yes-aircraft stripper is the one to use.

Digger

phat46

That's good to know you can use the Aircraft Stripper on 'glass. I have a friend with a 'Vette that we are going to paint this winter. The paint is all checked, like most older 'Vettes and I was wondering if we should strip it or try to seal the checks and sand that down. I guess we'll just strip it now.

Charlie Chops 1940

I had a Corvette shop with a friend in Oxnard, CA in the late 60's. Had a guy call us from LA, would we look at a '64 convert he had bought- stolen and recovered - for repaint. He trailered it over and it was a really nice car Bahama Blue, but the paint was really poor and he wanted it shot the new '69 orange. We suggested that he strip it himself to save some money. He agreed and said he'd call us.

We figured we'd never hear from him again, but about a month later he called and then hauled it up for us to paint. I flat could not find any blue paint on that car other than a tiny amount of original overspray caught up in a few areas of the panel bonding underneath. There wasn't a crack anywhere either. He had hand sanded and blocked the whole car.

We prepped, primed and painted that puppy orange. Turned out flawless. I've never painted anywhere since that had such perfect weather for painting.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

39deluxe

I've done several Corvettes over the years with Zip Strip. Never had a problem. It's water soluble so not only can you wash off the residual mess but water neutralizes it. The plastic over the stripper is a great idea and works very well. Don't do any area bigger than you can keep wet with stripper. Once the stripper drys you get to start all over again.

Tom

Digger

Quote from: "phat46"That's good to know you can use the Aircraft Stripper on 'glass. I have a friend with a 'Vette that we are going to paint this winter. The paint is all checked, like most older 'Vettes and I was wondering if we should strip it or try to seal the checks and sand that down. I guess we'll just strip it now.

I posted this before and it got lost somewhere.
Yeah you need to strip it. Trying to seal the checks is a waste of time and money.
A couple more tips-If this car has flex bumpers take them off before you start. It's a pain in the butt but stripper and urethane don't play well together.
When you get it stripped and clean do not use wax and grease remover on it, use lac thinner and sometimes we use Windex with ammonia as a final wipe. Let it dry for a while then seal and prime. The reason for all this is the Vette gel coats tend to have some pinholes and if you get petroleum based cleaner in them it can be a fisheye nightmare. Good Luck! 8)

Digger

phat46

Quote from: "Digger"
Quote from: "phat46"That's good to know you can use the Aircraft Stripper on 'glass. I have a friend with a 'Vette that we are going to paint this winter. The paint is all checked, like most older 'Vettes and I was wondering if we should strip it or try to seal the checks and sand that down. I guess we'll just strip it now.

I posted this before and it got lost somewhere.
Yeah you need to strip it. Trying to seal the checks is a waste of time and money.
A couple more tips-If this car has flex bumpers take them off before you start. It's a pain in the butt but stripper and urethane don't play well together.
When you get it stripped and clean do not use wax and grease remover on it, use lac thinner and sometimes we use Windex with ammonia as a final wipe. Let it dry for a while then seal and prime. The reason for all this is the Vette gel coats tend to have some pinholes and if you get petroleum based cleaner in them it can be a fisheye nightmare. Good Luck! 8)

Thanks for the tips. The rear bumper is wavey and he wants a differnt style bumper to replace it so that will be coming off. I'll take off the front one too just to make sure.

Boyd Who

I used a single-edge razor blade to strip my t-bucket back in the 90's. The paint peeled off in big strips. Worked quite well and therre was no slimy mess from chemical strippers to clean up.