pilot bushing

Started by phat rat, October 24, 2010, 09:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I'm dropping a new motor (489) in my 85 dually and am wondering about the new pilot bushings that came with the new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate set up. The flywheel/clutch kit I bought came with two different types of bushing. They are the same dimensions but one is solid metal, and one has needle bearings on the inside. The number inscribed on the all metal is PC656
The # on the roller one is PC381.
The bushing I removed was solid. So does anyone have some experience with the needle type to know if it's better?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I've used them, never had a problem with needle bearing pilots
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"I've used them, never had a problem with needle bearing pilots
No opinion on which is better? Guess I might as well go with the oe style. I've started thinking about what a bear it'd be to change if the needle style went bad. Those 4 spd truck trannies aren't light weights
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

i have always tried to install the needle bearing type when i could get them...

the only draw back that i have seen is when stick shift cars are driven in heavy traffic and the clutch is depressed a LOT... after years of service.. the bearings can overheat and seize and grab ahold of the input shaft and cause the system to grab...

as long as you have a decent lube. to go into it..  and the input shaft pilot is nice and smooth..

i normally try to use a moly wheel bearing grease to lube either..

i used to have some throw out GM T/O bearing slide grease and that worked really well.. but its all gone.. there were pints of it available for truck driveshaft extension joints... but gm wanted 60 bucks a pint.. and GM discontinued that also...

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I've used them, never had a problem with needle bearing pilots
No opinion on which is better? Guess I might as well go with the oe style. I've started thinking about what a bear it'd be to change if the needle style went bad. Those 4 spd truck trannies aren't light weights

as Wayne said, the needle bearing is better unless you do a lot of stop and go driving,
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've seen the needle bearing design wear a groove in the input shaft pilot when the bearing starts to seize up.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

39deluxe

Yep, they will do that.  The needle bearing was used in heavy duty truck applications from GM while the solid bushing was reserved for passenger cars and light trucks. It seems like the roller bearing is usually recommended for high performance applications too but it's my opinion that the solid bushing is just fine for street unless you are planning a lot of heavy towing with your truck. It should last a lot of miles with the proper lube to start with. I have seen the solid bushing egg shaped after a lot of heavy use in trucks. Even if the softer bronze doesn't groove the input shaft it can still wear out and not support the shaft properly which will damage the front bearing.

Tom