Superior radiator,Mount Clemons mi.

Started by 48ford, October 10, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Has anyone delt with this company/
I need a new radiator for the 46 and this compant will build a 2 core aluminium custom fit for $250.
A copper/brass one is around $700.
Mine is leaking and the core is rotten.
I will check into a recore,I don't have a cooling problem with the old one thats in there ,but it needs to be fixed or replaced.
thanks Russ

Learpilot

My vote is Walker Radiator 1-800-821-1970. They are great people and I have there Radiator for 10 years no problems.
for a 46 Ford C-489-1 $582.00 with out A/C condenser
                   Z-489-1 $770.00 with out A/C engine bored
                   CAC-493-1 $761.00 with A/C
                   ZAC-493-1 $877.00 with A/C engine bored
If you need an electric fan and shroud CCI-1770 for $257.00.

Rick

Rochie

48ford,
I have a Superior rad from Charlie in my 29 Ford.  It is set up for the chev engine and he made some modifications for me.  The engine is a
L-79 clone and runs at 180 all day long, including crossing the country this summer in some high 90 degree days. Two friends bought rads from Superior because they saw mine and REALLY liked the price.

phat46

I have a Superior rad in a truck i built a few years ago.  It is a really nice piece. I took them a core support I had fabbed up to use with a frame i had also built. I wanted the most radiator i could get  in the core support. They asked me how much h.p. I'd be making as that is how they size their rads. I told him 400 h.p. from a 429 ford and they made a rad to fit. Just the other day I had the truck out and I had forgotten to turn the electric fan on, I have only a manual switch. I drove around town for quite a while before I realised I didn't have the fan on. the temp was at about 210. Click on the fan and within a minute it had dropped to about 195.
I would whloe haertedly reccomend them I paid about $450 with the trans cooler built in. That was about 6-7 years ago.

GPster

It's a shame the car is not stock. I have a '42 to '48 radiator and I've been watching various "Wanted" lists hoping someone would need it..It came in the Jeepster and was hooked up to the flathead that someone had installed in it. When I had to go to the S10 frame there's no room to use it. I've had it boiled-out and leak checked, it's not beautiful (top tank is dented) but it's too nice to cut up. GPster

48ford

Thanks for the info guys.
I  feel comfortable with them now,I will pull the old one out at the end of the month,and take it with me when I go up there.
The car has the original 6 cyl radiator and I have a 400 chevy in it,and it never gets over 180.
The 6 cyl radiator is smaller then the v-8 radiator as it sits closer to the front of the car.
Later Russ

butch27

I have one from them in my "T" and this week-end my temp/fan switch connector fell of . I didn't notice it til I got home and only ran about 200 tops!

Rochie

48ford,
don't expect a pretty shop when you go up to Superior.  It is an "OLD TIME" rad shop

phat46

Quote from: "Rochie"48ford,
don't expect a pretty shop when you go up to Superior.  It is an "OLD TIME" rad shop

That's one of the best things about the place, when I was there they had several old cars out back, including a Metropolitain. Inside is definately old school, maybe thats why they do such good work at good prices!

kb426

It would be great to have a good radiator shop not too far from home. Living in the sticks does present some problems.
TEAM SMART