BAD driveline vibration

Started by butch27, October 07, 2010, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

Finally got the "T" running.The whole driveline vibrates bad.  The trans is 3 degrees  down and the Banjo  rear pinion is 3 degrees up--But with my short drive shaft ( about 9") the working angle is like 11 degrees. I've got about 20 miles on it and the whole driveline vibrates and gets a little worse when I throw it in neutral. Any Help? A whole lot of work.    Oh A new torque converter also but it feels like it may also be the trouble.

kb426

I think we need more info. Engine, trans, etc.
TEAM SMART

butch27

Engine- 302" Ford-- Trans-c-4--- rear- 1947 Ford banjo converted to open drive with pro conversion kit. The car ran fine the first few miles that I drove it then I started to feel a vibration. It kept getting worse and today it feels like the whole car drive line is ready to blow. I took the trans cover off and drove with my foot on the bellhousing and could feel it but most of the shake was in the Ginnie shifter area. I jacked it up and ran it and everything goes fine. Although like I said the driveshaft angle freaks me out.

enjenjo

11 degrees sounds like about 4 to 5 degrees too much. Any way to raise the car a couple inches just to test it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

The problem with the Banjo rear is that it makes the driveshaft run -uphill- from the trans when most cars the shaft runs downhill. It got worse as the miles increased ( if you can call all of about 20 miles increasing LOL).

chimp koose

Has the transmission mount possibly worked loose ,worsening the situation?I think the max. angle of the driveshaft to pinion should be 7 degrees.Are the driveshaft yokes out of phase? The greater the angle at rest the worse the vibration would be with an out of phase driveshaft.What angle is the driveshaft when you are sitting in the car ? If the suspension moves much when driver is seated it will change the angle more with a short driveshaft than with a long one. Could you weight the seat down to simulate drivers weight and then check driveshaft angle? A cure might be to raise the rear of the transmission.Raising the trans will require more height per degree change,than at the pinion end. you will then have to lower the pinion to match the angles. This should help to reduce the angle of the driveshaft. If you do this be sure to check that the driveshaft length is still correct, you may need to shorten the driveshaft more. Good luck and keep us informed please.

GPster

Quote from: "butch27"The problem with the Banjo rear is that it makes the driveshaft run -uphill- from the trans when most cars the shaft runs downhill. It got worse as the miles increased ( if you can call all of about 20 miles increasing LOL).
That means you need a "Quick Change". GPster

enjenjo

You couls use a 4x4 C4, it's 5 1/2" shorter, that would give you better U joint angles.

Jokester

QuoteFinally got the "T" running.

Has this been a long time project?  Have the tires gotten square from sitting in one place for a long time?  

Just a thought.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

butch27

OH: So you know about my long time project huh? LOL
Frank: What year C-4 from a 4x4 ? I had one out of an old van BUT it did not have a way to hook up a regular U-Joint . Had some weird spline .

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"OH: So you know about my long time project huh? LOL
Frank: What year C-4 from a 4x4 ? I had one out of an old van BUT it did not have a way to hook up a regular U-Joint . Had some weird spline .

Early Bronco, pre 77. You can have that tailshaft installed in any C4

butch27

Oh man : I gave one away 4 years ago.