I am glad I decided to check the 55 over before

Started by junkyardjeff, October 20, 2010, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I got my 55 sunliner in the big garage to change the oil and try to get a couple things fixed before headiing down to Daytona for the Turkey run,I needed to change the oil and see if I could get the 3rd gear shifting problem solved so I go to grease the front u joint and there is some slop in it.  I unhook it from the rear and slide it in further and the slop goes away so it looks like I had the drive shaft made 1 1/4 too short so off to the driveshaft shop tomorrow for another one,no wonder the trans always leaked from the rear even though I replaced the rear seal a couple times since I put it in.  I am suprised I did not feel the slop the last time I had it out but I missed it,leaning over the radiator the solder around the top tank sprung a pin hole so off to the radiator shop it goes.  I would rather fix these problems in the confort of my garage instead of on the road and I do have about a month to get it all done,I was also going to change the gears in the 8 inch as it always howled but I think that was the drive shaft making that noise and would rather change the gears since it would have been much cheaper since I was going to rob the gears out of my 37 that also has a 8 inch and I would have not noticed the howl in it since it has louder mufflers.

wayne petty

just curious if you plan on pulling the tail housing and changing the rear bushing also??????

that one may be worn from only partial engagement with the yoke...

at least take a look with the yoke out and the seal pulled...

junkyardjeff

I thought about doing that but when I push it back in 99 percent of the slop goes away so I might just let it go,if the 3rd gear shifting at light throttle issue is not gone I will be pulling the trans for a rebuild later and do it then.