3.0 Ford question

Started by jaybee, October 02, 2010, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I think I may have done a bunch of work that didn't need done based on someone else's diagnosis.  Brother brought me hia 2001 Taurus on a car dolly.  Said it was pushing out coolant and bubbling into the overflow tank when running. He had it looked at by the local dealer who told him head gaskets.  Pulling it into the garage itsmelled strongly of antifreeze and dripping.  Based on a wad of soggy, half-dried coolant under the area where the rear head overhangs the water pump passage I expected to find that it had blown out that end of the gasket to the outside. I should mention the same dealership recently replaced those same head gaskets.

Now I have the heads off and I think they're dead wrong.  The gaskets don't show a blowout anywhere.  Fire rings are intact.  Red sealing rings around the water passages are imprinted on the block and heads without breaks.  No missing gasket material.  No signs that antifreeze has been in the cylinders.  

I think the problem has been blown water pump or timing cover.gasket all along.  Thoughts?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

jaybee

Oop, sorry for double post.  If Admins want to delete one that'd be OK by me.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"Oop, sorry for double post.  If Admins want to delete one that'd be OK by me.

done.  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

I don't know if this the same on your Taurus. I have a 2003 Lincoln ls. It had a stuck thermostat and it over heated. I put in a new thermostat and checked for leaks and found none. About two days later it over heated and antifreeze was under the car. I refilled the plastic tank. Drove it and when it got up to temp it leaked antifreeze out on the ground. It would only leak when up to temp. I checked the overflow plastic tank and it was cracked. That was the reason it would leak when it was hot. I got a new tank from the Ford dealer for $150.00. Put is on and have had no more problem. I was surprised to find out that the tank is pressurized just like the engine. I guess if you want to sell more plastic tanks this is the way to do it. I did find a tank from RockAuto for $80.00 but I needed my car to go to work and that is why I got it at the dealer.
Rick

wayne petty

i just had to replace the heater hoses on a 2001 taurus.... they are crimped to the tubes that are bolted to the firewall..

i had bad hoses and holes in the steel tubes... see pick linked below..thats for a 3.0 vin U motor... listed as heater hose assembly....  take a look at the hose any of you who happen by.. it almost a rube award winner..   mousetrap!!!

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/626-207/image/4/

before trying to change one of these.... make sure that you have a set of hose clamp pliers... or you will never get the clamps back.... a single set of cheep ones are about 10 bucks..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/otc/4502/image/4/

warning...   pull the clamps back.. slice the side of the hose and peal it open.. do not try to twist it off the heater core... you will break the heater core....

if you don't have a set of the hose clamp plier..  but only have  to get one of these off... if you have a small cut off wheel... and a pair of channel lock pliers..   cut a narrow notch across the teeth .. this gives you the ability to grip these hose clamps...  |||||||||||    to ++++++++

a pair of the 20 degree offset long nose pliers with the same mods was involved in changing the hose clamps...

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-11-inch-20-offset-45-angle-long-reach-needle-plier-set-33202.html

be sure that you flip the ignition coil over and examine the bottom for cracks...   if you find cracks... or an unstable idle with a misfire...

swap in another new coil.....

one last thing...   the back of the upper intake has a box hooked to the exhaust with 2 small hoses....   the EGR pressure transducer...

looks kinda like this..
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU2308/image/4/

if its made of aluminum... replace it... plastic.. its already been changed...

there is also one of these on the drivers side of the back of the intake plenum..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/EVS58/image/4/

egr solenoid...

both of them go bad... usually setting a P0401... cost is less than 100 bucks for both .. even at ford...   all taurus and sables with the 3.0 have these fail...

sorry for cluttering up the thread....

other than these few extra problems..  they are decent cars...

enjenjo

3.0 is famous for the timing cover leaking coolant.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Thanks for the feedback.  You'd think the Ford dealer would no better, but unfortunately good mechanics are hard to find anywhere these days.