Taurus SHO opinions, please

Started by 48builder, October 10, 2010, 07:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

OK, so oldtimers here know I have been working on my 48 Chevy for many, many years. I should finish it before getting involved in something else. When the 48 is finished, I want to re-do my '39 Chevy sedan.

I started thinking that a Ford Taurus SHO motor might make a unique powerplant. I don't have any idea about whether it would fit, etc. I started looking around and there a quite a few of them on Ebay at what I think are reasonable prices. I need something soon to replace the 2001 Dodge Stratus that my son drives. I figure I can get a nice SHO and let him drive it for a couple years until I want to use the drive train.

Anybody know any info that can help with this decision?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

TEAM SMART

48builder

Quote from: "kb426"V8 or V6 version?

Which is better? As I recall, the V6 is the earlier version? I don't know when the V8 came out.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Fat Cat

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "kb426"V8 or V6 version?

Which is better? As I recall, the V6 is the earlier version? I don't know when the V8 came out.

Don't even think about using the V-8. There is a local guy that has one that he had a second motor put in and that one lasted about 3 years before it too went south. My biggest issue some of the later Ford motors is that they bypass most of the oil away from the filtering system. Under certain conditions only 30% of the oil in the motor will go through the filter. Which is why many of them run more oil in the pan that comparable Dodge and GM engines.

wayne petty

there was also an v6  ignition module shortage a few years back..

they mounted the modules on the upper intake  and for some reason they failed...    i would think that the thermal cycling of the intake might do it...   sit in traffic  the intake warms up...  open the throttle.. the  air flow takes the heat out.. so the module gets hot and cold again and again...

at that point i has some connections who were module manufacturers reps and they said they were working on it..  i have not heard anything else... and the only place i see SHOs V6 taurus are in the junk yards..

48builder

You guys aren't making me feel good about this engine choice. I had thought about using something a little different, even something loike a V6 with a blower. Maybe a Northstar, or ???
'39 Chevy driver

wayne petty

no... they are great motors...   but i was just pointing out the rarity of some of the parts... and to make sure that stuff that fails is available.. or you have several used ones...

unklian

My kid brother had one, good motor,
the weak link was the German transmission.