New kitty in the shop

Started by OldSub, September 19, 2010, 11:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

Quote from: "Mac"Maybe you know this, but when the sub frame is rubber mounted you have to provide a flex or sliding connection for the steering shaft.

I won't use the Jag column but will use the stock Jag joints up to the column as much as possible.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

sirstude

There is a guy up here, runs the "Salt Cat" Jag at Bonneville, also has a 53 Buick.  He cut the entire pan out of a Jag and grafted it to the Buick.  Twin Turbos on the Buick straight 8.  He even used the entire Jag interior since it bolted to the floor pan already.  I don't think that would be an option on your Surb, wheelbase differences and all, but just another idea.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

I picked up an 84 XJ sedan today for $350, no engine or trans, this running gear is going in my Fleetline. I had to drive a whole 6 miles to get it. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up an 84 XJ sedan today for $350, no engine or trans, this running gear is going in my Fleetline. I had to drive a whole 6 miles to get it. :shock:
I'd make you a deal on an '85 V-12 and trans.  But you'll have to drive more than six miles to pick them up...

Steve@OldSub.com

32coupe

Scooter and I picked up an 84 with chev small block last weekend for $1800, sold the front end already :wink:

It has a full leather Recaro interior, bonus :D
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

OldSub

Quote from: "32coupe"sold the front end already
Can you remove the front end without removing the motor?

Steve@OldSub.com

wayne petty

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "32coupe"sold the front end already
Can you remove the front end without removing the motor?

probably... but the whole thing can drop out the bottom if you have an above ground hoist to lift the body off the subframe and engine with the transmission attached and the transmission cross member unbolted...  and the drive shaft unbolted...   then you can roll out the front cross member .. unbolt the motor mounts and separate it..

i am taking that you are going to sell the motor and the transmission..

the ecm might be in the trunk behind the rear seat panel...

there are probably a pair of fuel pumps under the spare tire....

the tilt up hood is worth a a hand full of bucks if its not damaged... they get smashed in a lot...  the head light parts also..

OldSub

I'll list parts on craigslist for a few weeks, but won't hesitate to scrap what I don't want pretty quickly.  I don't want to store it and my neighbors already think I have too much junk around here.

You're suggesting the IFS, motor and trans can be removed through the bottom?  That might be much easier than pulling the hood and pulling the motor out the top.

Steve@OldSub.com

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"I picked up an 84 XJ sedan today for $350, no engine or trans, this running gear is going in my Fleetline. I had to drive a whole 6 miles to get it. :shock:

Is this swap something you're starting anytime soon? Can we follow along? I'm real interested, anyway.
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mac"

Is this swap something you're starting anytime soon? Can we follow along? I'm real interested, anyway.

I hope it's soon, but you never can tell. I will certainly post pictures.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

All the talk so far has been about a SJS, is the SJ6 suspension as desirable for hot rod applications?

OldSub

Quote from: "ragdol"All the talk so far has been about a SJS, is the SJ6 suspension as desirable for hot rod applications?
I think you have to look at it a little differently.  Series 1, 2 or 3.  The widths and exact mounting appear to be different between different series.  I believe if the XJ-6 is a series 3 then the suspension is the same as my series 3 XJS.

I've read a lot of links on these suspensions over the past week and they do not always agree, so hopefully someone with a clearer picture and more experience will also respond.

Steve@OldSub.com

wayne petty

i have not checked.. but i have had to fix a LOT of the turn signal boxes in some of these cars...     an hour resoldering them... testing and then they are as good as new...   jag gets over 350 for them.. and there are 4 on most cars..   this is to just get rid of the bulb failure lamp...

they might make an interesting addition to a hot rod if you want a lot of lamps in the back..  doing different things... or maybe not...

ebay... them...

OldSub

Quote from: "wayne petty"ebay... them...
Good plan!

Steve@OldSub.com