Importing a hot rod into Canada from US

Started by Topsterguy, September 19, 2010, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

As  many know, Canada / BC has some pretty weird rules regarding importing hot rods in from the US.  Finished glass cars are a NO NO unless they're at least 15 years old, but can be brought in pieces and built. Steel cars are okay. Apparently if the glass car is registered in the US as , say, 32 Ford roadster it's allowed to be imported because it's over 15 years old....according to the reg. Problem is that in Canada / BC it's not a 32 cuz it's glass, and they can void your insurance if you have an accident.  Anyone had any experience with bringing one ( glass) across and registering it up here?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

HemiDeuce

I believe if it is registered as a 1936 you can bring it in.
Call Customs and tell them it's a glass car but registered as a real 36 and see what they say.
HemiDeuce.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "HemiDeuce"I believe if it is registered as a 1936 you can bring it in.
Call Customs and tell them it's a glass car but registered as a real 36 and see what they say.
HemiDeuce.

Yeah that's what I've been told, but so far only by other hot rodders! :?   I guess the best thing is to ask customs like you say! A guy brought a Wescott bodied 32 rdstr back from Wa, told them on his way down what it was etc ( reg as a 32) and they said no problem.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Harry

I brought a couple cars in from USA. They never ask if it's glass or steel.
They wouldn't know the difference. They are there to collect the taxes.
You do have to notify the US border 3 days in advance with a copy of the title and bill of sale so they can do a search to see if it's legal. Not stolen or money owing. I brought my '94 Caprice across on the Coho. Good guys here in Victoria.
Go down to Customs and talk to them about it. Ask the Canadians, not the Yankees.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Harry"I brought a couple cars in from USA. They never ask if it's glass or steel.
They wouldn't know the difference. They are there to collect the taxes.
You do have to notify the US border 3 days in advance with a copy of the title and bill of sale so they can do a search to see if it's legal. Not stolen or money owing. I brought my '94 Caprice across on the Coho. Good guys here in Victoria.
Go down to Customs and talk to them about it. Ask the Canadians, not the Yankees.

Thanks Harry!  I talked to ICBC, RIV, and customs today an basically as long as it's registered as a 1936 Ford it's all not a problem. I do the 72 hours notification thing with the title and bill of sale, show uo at the border (PA), pay the taxes, get Form 1 which is stamped twice, and drive off into the sunset. Then I turn it all in to ICBC, get an inspection done,  and they re-register it as a ubuilt and it's done.  Thanks all for the info etc! :D

Harry

I'm looking forward to seeing the "new" car around town.
Best wishes..

Danimal

Quote from: "Harry"Go down to Customs and talk to them about it. Ask the Canadians, not the Yankees.

Better yet, don't ask TWO Yankees. A guy I worked with (Canadian cit) brought a Mustang over from Canada. They put him through hell. Told him he had to go back to the boarder, bring the car with the truck AND the trailer he'd used (rental) or they'd impound his stuff. He went back and the second guy looked from 50 feet away, said OK, and off he went.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Danimal"
Quote from: "Harry"Go down to Customs and talk to them about it. Ask the Canadians, not the Yankees.

Better yet, don't ask TWO Yankees. A guy I worked with (Canadian cit) brought a Mustang over from Canada. They put him through hell. Told him he had to go back to the boarder, bring the car with the truck AND the trailer he'd used (rental) or they'd impound his stuff. He went back and the second guy looked from 50 feet away, said OK, and off he went.

Ain't that the truth - it all depends on who you get........and it doesn't matter if they're TOTALLY wrong...they've got the power and they know it!

Topsterguy

Quote from: "HemiDeuce"I believe if it is registered as a 1936 you can bring it in.
HemiDeuce.

Hey Keith!   I called them and that's right - if it's titled as a 36 down there it comes thru as a 36, and it's reregistered at ICBC later.