coilover spring rate ?

Started by trackster, July 21, 2004, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Finally got tired of the buggy spring on the rear of my A pickup.  I plan on putting coilovers on it and could use some input on spring rates.  '30 A pickup, SBC, shortened bed.  Front axle weight - 1340#; rear axle weight - 1280#, at Louisville a few years ago. Have a chance to pick up a set with 200# springs.  They will mount at approximately 25 degrees from vertical.  Is this enough spring? Seems to me it may be a little light, but just guessing. Hope to have back together for Louisville, but..... Thanks. Gary
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

31suv

Speedway has a fact sheet in there streetrod catalog that will get you real close to where you want to be. and they have about the best deals also. There is also factoids on set up angle.I think it was 20-30 deg. If you can give yourself 3or4 adjustmet holes in youre upper or lower mounts and use adjustable springs,you can dial it in right where you want.also if you are doing away with youre buggy spring,you are going to have to mount a panhard bar , and while youre under there might as well do a sway bar. Speedway's got all that stuff to but you can make all of it, just look how they made it and come up with your own design.
East Texas,the right side of Texas

trackster

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.  I have a panhard bar from another project and plan to use it. :-o
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

Nick32Vic

I bought 250 for my 32 vicky, 9" rear, glass body. The guy i got it from knows what hes talking about and that what he told me to use. Its jay from RodParts warehouse, He gives great deals and negotiates if you find a better price. I have had tons of good luck dealing with him. If you would like his number just say the word.

Nick