car selling/buying bs list

Started by tomslik, September 06, 2010, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

ever get the the wife/girlfriend/daughter of a "prospective" buyer on the phone and then they ask you a million questions and then they have to "relay" the info to their husband/boyfriend/dad or he's in the background hollering questions to ask?
ya lazy bastid, call yourself IF you're not just a time waster...

got one of those last night...
1st thing they ask me is how much...well, it's right there on the car next to the phone number YOU JUST CALLED ME AT!

my wife thought i should have been "nicer:" on the phone.... :roll:

i guarantee you ain't gonna sell to people like that...
or if they want to "negotiate" before even seeing the car...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

i understand,  been there many times.  I've had folks hang up on me as they ask questions about the vehicle when the answers are right in front of them

How about  this for fun:

a transmission  tech call on a the install of an AOD transmittin in place of a C4 in a Rustang. The Wife is calling because the older - retired  husband is near deaf.

Wife is in kitchen on phone, yelling to husband through window into garage.

Wife knows less than nothing on automobiles.  Wife is apologizing profusely as the calls progress towards finish of the install over a period of a few weeks.

and you are correct, I am not the person taking these phone calls from this woman

:evil:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slocrow

Ya know.............if "they" call they have an interest. It's your job to sell them. It's not a sellers market so you have to work at it. If you get a "buyer", close.
Just my thoughts about the current market conditions for our hobby and the need to sell it, if you want to get rid of it.
If the door don't swing and the phone don't ring, you're done. ....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

tomslik

Quote from: "slocrow"Ya know.............if "they" call they have an interest. It's your job to sell them. It's not a sellers market so you have to work at it. If you get a "buyer", close.
Just my thoughts about the current market conditions for our hobby and the need to sell it, if you want to get rid of it.

if they have to ask their wife or their wife calls and they're in the background yelling out questions to ask, they're NOT a player, i'm tellin' ya.
i don't HAVE to sell anything and i sure don't NEED the aggrivation of selling to stupid or lazy people anymore...
i'm not rich or even close to it but i AM old enough and bought and sold enough cars to know who's seriously looking and who's wasting your time...
this may help ya...
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7062509/
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "slocrow"Ya know.............if "they" call they have an interest. It's your job to sell them. It's not a sellers market so you have to work at it. If you get a "buyer", close.

if they have to ask their wife or their wife calls and they're in the background yelling out questions to ask, they're NOT a player, i'm tellin' ya.
i don't HAVE to sell anything and i sure don't NEED the aggrivation of selling to stupid or lazy people anymore...
i'm not rich or even close to it but i AM old enough and bought and sold enough cars to know who's seriously looking and who's wasting your time...
this may help ya...
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7062509/

Tom,  I agree with you... yelling questions across a room to the wife on the phone?

funny vid and very true.

I've called on cars and asked detail info.  The seller in some cases was unable to offer answers , so I figured they were not very interested in selling.

I called on an ElCamino back in the 1980's  ...  for some reason I was buying and selling ElCaminos..  the  seller told me  that  he thought I was wanting to steal his car or at least the trim on the bed.  I was asking about the trim on the bed IF it was complete or not.  ElCamino bed trim always seems to be smashed or gone I told him.

2 hours later I had Janice call to get his address  since he would not give it to me.

:evil:
Tony

Uncle Bob

You're so right Tom, if the guy lacks the interest to deal direct he's a flake looking to pass his time...........and waste yours.  I get the bit about the buyer's market, but no matter what market a flake's a flake and needs to be given the shake.

The other most common "trick" similar folks used to do back before internet advertising was the "give me directions...." close at their end, instead of saying "oh never mind, I'm not interested now".  So you'd waste another few minutes doing the map thing.  I got to where when they said something like that I'd reply "Are you coming over right now?".  If they said something like "Not right away", I'd say "Then call when you're ready so you'll know I'm here."  9 times out of 10 you'd never hear from them again.  It's all part of the process of selling, but we need a rant once in a while.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

That fellow here on RRT :   Glen...  has a few stories of recent events trying to sell parts and a his truck a few months back.  We all got em

It can be very frustrating at times.

I had a deal with a guy on craig's list last year.  We shook hands , he would return with half the cash the next evening , the remainder of cash in 2 weeks after pay day.

he never show'd up, not answer my phone calls,  not answer emails
Tony

cr55

I'm feeling your pain! :lol: ...Trying to sell a Streetrod, a Van and a tractor.. Getting nowhere!! People ask the same dumb sounding questions. Instead of reading the ad where I have stated everything I possibly can about each vehicle...If they would only read the ad!!!..CR :roll:

chimp koose

Trying to sell an aquarium. We get an E-mail the other night from a buyer who states" I have cash" . Set up a time for him to show up, he is a no show. I rarely sell vehicles , I just drive them till I can't anymore and then strip them for parts. Salvage yard buys whats left.

phat rat

How about the emails you get asking if you still have it, when you only listed it within the past hour? Then they don't have time to come look, a relative or someone needs immediate surgery, but will send a representative to see and arrange shipping. Of course the sentences are composed quite differently than we would. I just delete them and that's the end of that one.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

TJ's Dad

Paybacks are sweet ...

After many " I'll be there to look at it soon " stories I once decided to get peoples phone number thinking if they gave it they'd show up.
A fella rings , gets my address and says he'll be here before 5pm ..... no show . Around 3.00am mother nature woke me , remembering the " I'll be there to look at it soon " bloke I dialed his number , after several rings an obvious woken from slumber voice answers "Hello"  ... "hey mate " i chirped in my friendliest voice " you were coming to look at a car i'm selling "  a rather angry voice gnarled " do you know wot time it is ? "  ..... politely i replied " Yep a touch after 3.00am and i wanna go to bed but didnt wanna let you down "
Oddly he never did come n buy it ...  :) and i'd bet he never gives his number out again.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

cr55

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Crosley.In.AZ

that 3am call is funny.

I had a 2am call on a car for sale one time.  I told the guy the car was sold (it was) .. he still wanted to ask questions.  I hung up on him.

Some folks have no concept of time I guess.. My brother has a sister in law that would call at 2 - 3 am to chat with her sister.  As I recall my brother put a stop to that.  :lol:
Tony