Leak down test

Started by 2rods, July 21, 2004, 11:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

How do you do a proper leak down test? I made a tester and am wondering if I am doing the test properly? I have 110psi coming in which is regulated to 100 psi and then goes to the cyl. I am getting 100 psi on both gauges. If I shut off the air it bleeds off pretty fast. The leakage is past the rings as I can hear air from the VC breather and the dipstick. If there is leakage the 2 gauges should not be the same indicating the % of leakage assuming you start at 100 psi. Is this right ?

Thanks for any help. Dave.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "2rods"How do you do a proper leak down test? I made a tester and am wondering if I am doing the test properly? I have 110psi coming in which is regulated to 100 psi and then goes to the cyl. I am getting 100 psi on both gauges. If I shut off the air it bleeds off pretty fast. The leakage is past the rings as I can hear air from the VC breather and the dipstick. If there is leakage the 2 gauges should not be the same indicating the % of leakage assuming you start at 100 psi. Is this right ?

Thanks for any help. Dave.

---------------------------------
How did you make your tester?  

Did you incorporate a restrictor orifice between the two gauges?  .....Without this restriction, the two gauges will always read the same.   (The restrictor orifice creates a pressure drop between the two gauges if the cylinder leaks air faster than it is replenished.) ...However, if the orifice is too small, you may not get an accurate test.

I have tested engines that have had considerable "blow-by" based on sound, but those cylinders passed leak-down test, and had a good compression test.

Best results are obtained if the leakdown test is done on a warm engine, but that isn't always possible.

Info I have been able to find indicates the following leakdown rates:

3%-5% leakdown = good racing engine

5%-7% leakdown = good street engine

10% leakdown = weak

20% leakdown = shot

Another source specified:

0-10% leakdown = good
10%-20% leakdown = needs rebuild
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

2rods

I was looking at some on the net and just realized I need the orifice. I am going to put a needle valve between the gauges and adjust to get proper balance. Thanks.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "2rods"I was looking at some on the net and just realized I need the orifice. I am going to put a needle valve between the gauges and adjust to get proper balance. Thanks.

the one I made called for a number 60 drill bit with a set spacing distance between the ports. I can't recall the space or length of the 60 drill bit port, must have it in my files somewhere. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

1FATGMC

This came up on Chevy Talk the other day:

http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=894010&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

If that doesn't get you there then go to the "Perforamance Forum" on http://www.chevytalk.org/

In that post there is a link to building a leakdown tester and it talks about the orfice:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/misc/misc3.shtml

Like a lot of testers it sound like you should be looking for differences between cylinders.

c ya, Sum