Suicide type spring cross member fitment

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 06, 2010, 12:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

trying to help a friend with spring on top of axle  setup, locate the proper   cross member

we have nothing to mount the spring at this point.  

Looking at new cross members from Speedway Motors for Model A  or 32 Ford... looking at the U bolt kits too.  

Spring is 1.75 inches wide

will need some hairpins , clevis joints or similar too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

You planning to install the spring under the crossmember, or in front of the crossmember? What type of frame?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

chassis will probably be 2 x 3 tube

need to mount cross member between chassis tubes, axle will be under the chassis tube

chassis tubes will end up around 22 - 24 inches wide inside between tubes
Tony

enjenjo

I would ude 2" round tubing, with a perch welded in the middle with holes for U bolts to go through from the top, and a retaining plate under the spring.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

sounds like a plan.

this is not an actual suicide front setup as you can see.  Spring over the axle deal

Could use two 1/2  inch thick plates to capture the spring for mounting U bolts thru plates.

I guess a chunk of square tube could be used for cross member too
Tony

phat46

Build your own crossmember. My brother and I both did it this way. Three pieces of fairly heavy flatstock, I think i used 1/4", cut the sides (front and rear) to the amount of "drop" you want, use  torch to heat the top to match the sides, weld the three pieces together. get a plate to go under the spring and another for on top, U bolts to hold it all in place. I placed gussets at the sides where it attaches to the frame and welded the whole mess in. Just had a guy ask me last week what the frame was from.  :D