backspacing

Started by reborn55, August 29, 2010, 04:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Wife's Streetrod has I believe is 77 Chevelle/Monte Carlo front clip. I need a little more backspacing for fender clearance. Does a 15x6 wheel with 4.5 inch backspacing clear all right. done some measuring and I think it will work. Any help is greatly appreciated. The wheels are after market Wheel Vintiques Chrome rallys

Thanks

phat rat

That's probably about as much backspacing as you can get on a 6" wheel. Have you considered using a tire that's a bit narrower or shorter? Such as a 65 vs 60 or 75 vs 70
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

It should clear the caliper fine, I expect the closest point of interference will be the tie rod end.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Long story short--wound up using tires of 55 to go to frog follies--215-70r-15  in place of 205-70r-15(found a bubble in tire at last minute) that were on the coupe.  Rubbed on dips etc.  Had to do a little wheel well massage on the way.  the wheels have a 3 1/2 inch back space(bought for the ragtop car from hell but vibrated like crazy--car bites me again).  Put them back on today and they are 1/2 inch narrower so I think that I will buy a new set of tires and massage the lip a little more for now.  If it works OK, if not will buy wheels later.  Tires had less than 1000 miles on them.  Actuall the 205 in the 75 series is actually taller but the same width.  May opt for 4 inch back space--more common and cheaper
Thanks

phat rat

Quote from: "reborn55"Long story short--wound up using tires of 55 to go to frog follies--215-70r-15  in place of 205-70r-15(found a bubble in tire at last minute) that were on the coupe.  Rubbed on dips etc.  Had to do a little wheel well massage on the way.  the wheels have a 3 1/2 inch back space(bought for the ragtop car from hell but vibrated like crazy--car bites me again).  Put them back on today and they are 1/2 inch narrower so I think that I will buy a new set of tires and massage the lip a little more for now.  If it works OK, if not will buy wheels later.  Tires had less than 1000 miles on them.  Actuall the 205 in the 75 series is actually taller but the same width.  May opt for 4 inch back space--more common and cheaper
Thanks

You would change the 205/70 to 195/75. Then you keep you height but have a narrower tire. When I had 14" on the front of the cpe I had to run 185/75 to clear the tie rod ends, the reason I had that problem was narrowed A arms. Now I run 15" wheels with 195/65. I tried 205/65 but had a little rubbing on the fender in tight turns. The 15" wheels put the tie rod end inside the wheel area rather than at the tire.

reborn55

That work work on 15x7 with 3.5 backspacing?  Would solve a bunch of problems if it did?  Save some money also
Thanks

reborn55

Well back to square one--as best as I can tell the 19575 tires are no longer made.--going to 65 or 60 series will make them too short.

phat rat

The 185/75 that I used were 14". Going to a 60 or 65 series but keeping the height will only make the rubbing worse as it will be wider yet.

GPster

Just to add a little confusion to this topic. I have a friend that traded labor for an older BMW. Everything was OK until he needed tires and comes to find out it has Metric tires on it. Looking for a cheap solution, Frank suggested maybe S10 4x4 wheels which are negative off-set but have the Chevy 4 3/4" lug pattern. While we were looking around for some we spied an ad for a set of BMW wheels/tires and he bought them. Unfortunately newer BMW have deeply negative off-set wheels but this wheel swap problem must be common because wheel spacers for this conversion are readily available. Now to try to make sense of this. Not all older BMWs used metric tires but they were negative off-set. The newer BMWs seem to be grossly negative off-set and S10 4x4 wheels fall somewhere in the middle. Now BMW wheels have a metric lug pattern but it is so close to 4 3/4" that it was suggested they would work. I don't know much but I try to listen and learn. GPster