Mustang II Power Racks

Started by Crafty, August 07, 2010, 01:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crafty

Is there any way of identifying what rack I have?

I need to buy new inner and outer tie rods, rockauto.com show several different ones but with no hint as to which one I need.

The rack I have is ford stamped and has some codes on, but I can't relate this to anything. What I do know is there must be more than one rack, as I have a rack extender (basically pushes one tie rod out an inch or two), but this does not fit, its too big.

Need to replace the inners are one is bent and I don't have any outers!

Thanks..

wayne petty

this link does not get length

but it does give thread size on both ends...

http://www.tz-fz.com/cp.asp?sort=9&page=1

shows the normal part numbers also..

there are 7 pages ...   the ford units are on the first 2 pages....

they might also show other steering parts also..

this link is just for reference...

if you notice... there are differences in the cap design... so you can match them that way also...

there may also be specials made for kit manufacturers...

be sure to pull the roll pins before trying to unscrew the inner nut..

enjenjo

A picture would help, also the spacing on the mounting bolts, and if there are two or three mounting bolts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crafty

With a little searching it seems that the difference is between manual and power racks.
I remembered that the extender I have is for a manual rack, I also found a couple of bits of information that points to the manual rack inners being bigger.

Something else that was confusing me was if I searched on the online parts stores I'd always get several results, but it looks like this is just down to multiple manufacturers.

However, I still have a problem, I want to order the outers too and I'm sure manual and power are different, but none of the parts stores make any distinction, does anyone have any part numbers ?

enjenjo

If this is a Mustang front end, manual and power both take the same outer ends. this would be from a 74 to 78 Mustang. Some of the kits with rack extenders use a 79 to 89 Mustang outer end, which has the same taper and mounting thread, but is 2" longer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crafty

Ok thanks for the help, I had it in my head the outers were different.

Yes this is a mustang rack, taken off a MII that was being broken.

I do need to source the extender though, I found speedway do a kit that actually adds an inch to both sides, rather than 2" in one.

Thanks again