I have been out west

Started by WZ JUNK, August 04, 2010, 10:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

We spent the last two weeks high up in the Rockies at Glacier Park and Yellowstone.  It was great.  Not a lot of hot rod stuff but I did take a couple of pictures that I thought might fit on this board.

The boat is one of several at Glacier that were built in the 20's.  We went out on four different versions.  They are kept really nice.

The bus was made by White in 1937.  They have a lot of them at Glacier and a few at Yellowstone.  Ford completely redid all of them a couple of years ago.  They restored the bodies and placed them on a new Ford truck chassis.

What is old is new again.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

truck

I can't think of a much more relaxing afternoon than chucking up a lake in that lovely boat.

enjenjo

That's a part of this country that has always fascinated me, but I have never visited it. I hope to do so soon.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Boyd Who

Glacier Nat'l Park is one of my favorite places to visit in the US. We used to travel there every year or two. Going To The Sun road is something else!  :D

sirstude

Of course, luck me, I live right between both parks, and last year was the first time I had managed to go to Glacier in 30 years, and it has been almost as long since I have been to Yellowstone.  Been to West for the rud run, but just don't seem to get into the park.  I guess it is time I visited, someone slap some sense into me please.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

41woodie

Enjoyed the cruise on those boats several years ago.  A beautiful part of the world and way better than the 100+ degree weather I'm "enjoying" currently.

Crosley.In.AZ

Some day if I live long enough I hope to visit those places.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I'm jealous John. I've been to Yellowstone twice but never to Glacier. Although I have driven around the bottom of the park on U.S. 2  I want to get there and drive the Going To The Sun Road. Hopefully that will be next year. It's beautiful country out there and I'm sure you enjoyed it immensely.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

purplepickup

Looks like a relaxing vacation John.  That's a beautiful part of the world. The only time I've been in that area I just passed through most of it without spending much time in any one place.  It certainly deserves a longer look one of these years.

I'm going to take the liberty to post a very nice sunrise picture from your trip that you emailed me.
George

Just returned last week from a 10 day trip thru the Black Hills,Yellowstone and the Tetons with my two 13 year old Grandkids.Extremely beautiful country.....saw lots of wildlife and the weather was awesome....I sure could get used to that low humidity!I forget the name of the mountain pass but the temp went from 94 down to 55 when we reached the top.It's amazing that you can still see the remnants of the devastation caused by the fires years ago.....now the pine beetles seem to be destroying a good sized portion of the mature trees.I would like to return again at a less busy time of year  and in a hotrod......It was extremely busy everywhere we stopped and the bicycle riders were everywhere as well.It amazes me that they let those riders travel on those narrow,curvy roads and it's even more amazing that dozens aren't killed daily......you would be coming down a steep stretch,turning around a hairpin turn and there,right in your lane of traffic would be a bike!If you haven't been ......I highly recommend the trip!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat rat

The last time we went to Yellowstone we did it in late Sept. Was not crowded at all and the elk were bugling. It was really nice not having to deal with the crowds.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

48ford

We did the parks a few years back.
We also went in september ,and had the parks to ourselfs.
all the kids were back in school.
wonderful vacation.
russ

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "48ford"We did the parks a few years back.
We also went in september ,and had the parks to ourselfs.
all the kids were back in school.
wonderful vacation.
russ

We try to make the trips at that time too.

With some states that schools ramp back up in late august.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Just a note on the picture that George posted of the sunrise over the lake.  This was taken just east of a place at Glacier called Sunrise Point.  We had decided to get up early and get to the point before sunrise.   To get to the point, you follow a trail about 150 yards through the woods to the out cropping that is the point.  Just as we approached the parking area in the dark that morning, a large black bear ran across the road in front of us and off into the woods where we were going.  We changed our plans and moved back down the road to a pull off.  We took pictures and viewed the sunrise very close to our rental car.  Later it occurred to me that if that bear had went into those woods 5 minuets before or after we were at that spot, we would never have known it was there.

I took several pictures of sunrises while we were on our trip.  I always say that you need to look at as many sunrises as you can for who knows when it will be the last one you see.

If you have not been to Glacier or Yellowstone, you must go.  Yellowstone was crowded but early mornings and late afternoons are okay.  Glacier does have some crowded areas but generally is not to bad.  Everything I have read says that September is the best time to go but we did not have that option.  We made our reservations in the lodges nearly a year ago.  The lodges at Glacier are a real experience but expensive.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH