I'm still finding salt under my truck

Started by purplepickup, July 23, 2004, 06:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

When Don mentioned the rustbelt it reminded me of something I found last night.   I had my truck up on the lift and saw some drops of water hanging on the bottom of the floor.  I did drive it in the rain last weekend but that should have evaporated by now.  It's real humid and I suspected some remaining Bonneville salt from last year was absorbing the moisture in the air.  I tasted it and sure enough it was salt water.  It's amazing how hard it is to get that crap off a car.  There were droplets under almost all of the cab and box.   I've used the sprinkler thing under the car for hours, numerous car washes, driven in a lot of hard rain and it's still there.  I thought there was more fresh rust on the fasteners and other unprotected spots than last winter.   The K&N air cleaner base was all rusted and I had to take the throttle linkage apart and clean the corrosion off it cuz it was hanging up.  That stuff get's everywhere. :(   Oh well, it's worth it and I am planning a re-do on the truck in the next couple of years anyway.
George

WZ JUNK

I still have a partial cup of salt that I took off of your truck sitting on my desk.  We took it off of the underside of the one of the fenders while it was sitting here last summer.  I noticed that there is a product call salt away that is sold to get rid of the salt off of a vehicle.

You a concerned about getting the salt off and we are working real hard to get the salt on ours.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Roadstar

I actually think my Glass 32 body has  rust on it now :shock:  :lol:

Seriously though, I did nitice lots of corrosion on things like fasteners, and anything that was zinc plated is now a dull grey color.

What I was most worried about was the chrome suspension parts, but that seemed to be the easiest area to clean off.

But the memories override any aggravation :D

Cword

I'm real glad I live in a relitively high altitude dry climate.  It seems every year I find a new place on the car to ad to the special attention list after Bonneville. The good thing is that when I do find the rogue salt it's always dry and hard.

The race car is a different story altogether,  it's a darn good thing it comes completetly apart and gets re-built every year,  the salt penetration at 190 mph is amazing.  

mike
--

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Did a quick search and found this site  http://www.salt-x.com/washing.htm
Thanks John.  I don't know anything about this but I'll volunteer to do a consumer report on it.  I ordered a gallon.  It's supposed to be mixed 64:1 so it should last a while.  I know the damage to zinc plated fasteners from last year.  I'll replace them and compare to see what happens this year after using this.  I'm going to try some mixed up in a spray bottle and just go around the car douching every nook and cranny then rinse.  I guess we'll see...
George

1FATGMC

My truck is getting really bad also, especially the bed.   I almost think I'm going to have to make a new one again.

But like you said it is worth it and when I redo the truck I'll do somethings different than I did this time.

The big problem is going to be finding the time.  I really want to start on the lakester this winter.  First I have to finish the teardrop that is about half done but the good thing is I'm about done being a carpenter.

I guess this means you will have the pickup and not the van when you come?

c ya in a couple weeks,  Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I guess this means you will have the pickup and not the van when you come?

c ya in a couple weeks,  Sum
Absolutely :D  8)
George