Hi-jack the modern car computers?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, July 24, 2010, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I started to read a long article on investigation of how terrorist could hi-jack the computer sytems on vehicles.

The attempts were to use simple method to install a virus into a car's sytems via the OBD II port  that is usually  on all USA cars  from 1996 & up.

These guys also experimented with what systems could taken over while the car drove down the road .. the brakes, engine throttle, radio , gauges.  They learned some systems were easy to manipulate , others required more work.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

And "On-Star" can kill the power to the engine & cause the lights to flash .....
Rental car companies can track & record trips usage & speeding issues ....

Maybe George Orwell was correct with "1984" ...It just took a little longer .... :shock:

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

The On star system would be another method of delivery of the virus into the GM car system.

I did not read the full article, it was a bit dry reading.
Tony

Rrumbler

So, a feller with nefarious intent could set himself up as a smog check station - seems to be one on every corner around these parts - and booger all the cars he wanted to.  The thought boggles the mind - and sort'a scares it, too.  :shock:  :twisted:
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

junkyardjeff

Thats something I will never have to worry about since I will never have a car that new.

Crosley.In.AZ

the article was interesting in that they quoted some unnamed  factory engineers told them certain things had too many safe guards  built in.  Where have we heard that before?

The investigators were also told you can not put a modern vehicle into re-learn program mode as the vehicle moved down the road.  Well , the investigators were able to put the vehicle computer into re-program mode as it moved.  The vehicle stalled.
Tony

wayne petty

how about a hint of where you find this info at.????

unklian

Sounds like a very slow way to terrorize an enemy.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "unklian"Sounds like a very slow way to terrorize an enemy.

......or a competitor!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

57larry

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"how about a hint of where you find this info at.????

It was a PDF  and of course I can not locate it now.
Tony

Carnut

I remember reading the article on cnet news.com and maybe one other news site.

I was something that was discussed at the blackhat conference in Vegas last week.

But I also couldn't find the articles I read about it.

OldSub

Quote from: "57larry"drive old cars!
Back when Volkswagons first got EFI I heard a story about a VW being followed by something  with an electronic anti-lock brake system.  I don't remember what that car was but it had to be a Lincoln or Cadillac or something big.

The story goes that an amateur (HAM) radio operator activated the mobile radio in his car, causing the VW EFI to stall and the brakes on the Lincoln to fail.  The result was unpleasant.

Its probably just an urban legend but I've always thought it an amusing story.

I suspect aside from some inconvenience the possible outcomes from this kind of attack would for the most part not be serious, as long as you don't have the Toyota in the lake kind of result.  

I doubt you can turn the car into a bomb without doing a whole lot more than reprogramming, besides which everyone who watches TV knows that bomb would be built around a cell phone not the car's computer.

The discussion reminds me of the Y2K computer scare a decade ago.  Most of it is probably someone trying to generate fear so they can generate revenue.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com