Where to find good electronic parts

Started by junkyardjeff, July 30, 2010, 11:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Since I got my 65 custom 500 togather 5 years ago I went through 3 or 4 starter solenoids,either they dont work or will stick on.  It does not matter where I get them from they wont last much more then a year and the latest stuck on tonight so I am looking for another,even the one I got from napa did not last long so where can a quality solenoid be purchased.

enjenjo

You can get them from most suppliers, even NAPA.They carry two lines, the price line, and the quality line. They stock the price line, because most walkins shop by price. They can get the good stuff, but don't stock it unless their commercial customers buy enough to justify it. When you go in, ask for the premiom parts, they will have to order it, but it's worth it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/H.pdf

something everybody should have a copy of in their computer...

solenoids and relays...    load ratings.. construction.. internal wiring..

junkyardjeff

Found a good us made one in the garage and installed it and see how long it lasts,thinking about getting all the opriginals I can find in the junkyards instead of using the china/mexico crap.

58Apache

Should there be a maintenance practice on these to keep the sliding capability optimum?

wayne petty

most ford style remote starter solenoids have a riveted cover...

the biggest problems i have found is when one of the side studs gets twisted when the nuts are being tightened...

this twists the rectangular head inside slightly...  changes the angle of contact with the contact disc.... puts the guide rod/plunger in a twist and causes it to hang up ....

so.. there really is NO internal cleaning or work needed...

if you manage to twist one of the studs...  the only way to be sure it is back in the correct location.. is to remove the battery cable...  use a remote starter switch to power the S terminal...   after you loosen the jam nut.. the tension of the contact disc on the stud may square it up.. then holding the threads tight while you snug the jam nut ,, may restore proper operation to the solenoid...

it is far easier to toss it in the trash and put a new one..

one can also take the rivets out of the bottom cover...   open it and see if i am wrong...

oh...   the small gear reductions starters use on toyotas and hondas...  and now appearing on hot rods...   have replaceable contacts under the cover held on with 3 small screws...   one contact wears... causing the disc to tilt beyond the amount of play built in.. this requires the multiple applications of the ignition key to slam it home ..

UGLY OLDS

Ever do a starter draw test to make sure the starter is not drawing excessive amps to operate & prematurely burning the contacts ??    :?

I have had them "weld together" from excessive draw & cranking...'course mine  were high compression engines......

Just a thought....... :idea:

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Ever do a starter draw test to make sure the starter is not drawing excessive amps to operate & prematurely burning the contacts ??    :?

I have had them "weld together" from excessive draw & cranking...'course mine  were high compression engines......

Just a thought....... :idea:

Bob............ :wink:

I have had problems with the factory cable from the solenoid to the starter on Fords too. Usually corrosion from heat at the end fastened to the starter.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.