Trans leak area......

Started by slocrow, October 12, 2010, 09:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Just in review, are there only 4 places a turbo 350 can leak from? Tail shaft seal, shift lever, pan and front seal, that the converter slips into?    Thanks, Frank
Okay 5, filler tube..................I don't count the cooler lines.
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slocrow"Just in review, are there only 4 places a turbo 350 can leak from? Tail shaft seal, shift lever, pan and front seal, that the converter slips into?    Thanks, Frank
Okay 5, filler tube..................I don't count the cooler lines.

add the filler tube, detent cable, accumilator , pump O-ring, pump bolts, tail housing to case O-ring, modulator O-ring, speed-O  seals
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

taxpyer

Don't forget the backup light switch. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

slocrow

The reason I asked is because I've got this 350 that came out when a 700 went in and while it sat fluid leaked out the front and down the bellhousing. Although I've got a converter in place and propped so as not to hang on the seal, I couldn't help to wonder where the fluid was leaking from. I want to sell it and if it's an easy fix I wouldn't have to discount it because it leaks as it runs fine.
It leaked from the day I got the car and never stopped although I had replaced the pan gasket, lever seal and tail shaft seal. I'm now assuming that it was coming from the front pump seal where the converter slides in. Though I do remember reading somewhere about a internal leak down, associated with the converter fluid slipping away. I don't remember the cause.
Can I change that front seal and will that stop any leaking from that location or will that internal leak need to be fixed first?
Thanks for the help and info, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

the internal drain back of oil form the converter into the trans pan is known as gravity

the front pump area leak could be the O-ring around the pump edge that seals to the case.  Or leak around a bolt on the pump
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)