I need an idea

Started by enjenjo, July 27, 2010, 05:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have to drill a 1/4" hole 3" from the end of a 1 1/2" ID pipe, with no access to the outside. Any ideas?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

You're saying it has to be drilled from the inside? That's the only way I can see it stumping you! The way I see ridding you of the problem is to pass it on. LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

freddrew

Do you know a hot rodding dentist.  They have some nice tiny drills for teeth that would fit inside the pipe.  However you would have to make a 1/4" drill bit to fit it.

Fred Drew
Fred

chimp koose

Still cant quite picture what you are trying to do.

chris spokes

does the hole have to be perfect? was thinking die grinder with a carbide bur
he who has the most toys wins

enjenjo

Here's what I have to do. I need a hole to pass some wires through, in the bed roll on a Chevy truck. It has an ID of about 1.5". T he hole has to go into the stake pocket, and is offset at an angle to the stake pocket, so I can't drill through the pocket. The smallest right angle adapter I can find needs 2 1/4" clearance. I did think about the dental drill, but have not found one.

I've come up with a couple ideas. The first is to drill from the top side of the roll, clear through both sides, and then weld the top hole shut. Next, I have some carbon arc electrodes, I though of using the stick welder to pierce a hole where I need it. I also thought about using a flex shaft from a weed eater, silver soldering a bit on one end, and guiding it with a piece of copper tubing from the bottom of the stake pocket. I need to do this in 4 places.

wayne petty

if you can reach in to the desired spot...

they sell long shank carbide balls for die grinders...

with some fore thought a router bearing and some drill stops..

you could put a bearing on the shank of the long ball end tool... so you could lever it against the back of the tube to stop it from trying to make a circle...   i would then take a extendable deburring tool.  and work my way around the opening on both sides...

need pictures???????

just carve the hole from the inside of the tube.  it does not have to have straight sides does it...

the deburring tool i am thinking of is the second image from the bottom of this page..

http://www.wildsidespeed.com/index.php?cPath=38

the tool holder extends out...  the tool bit can fit straight in.. or at 90 degrees..  the tooling can scrape the inside of the side hole.. or the outside... by just changing the bit..

this deburring tool handle should be available at many places...

you could probably cut the hole in the side with this 30 buck die grinder.. its got a skinny nose... with a proper ball ended burr

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders/electric-die-grinder-with-long-shaft-44141.html

you might also find this speed control helpful..

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

i use one like it with my pad sander.. for massage duty on my knee..  half speed...

32coupe

Quote from: "enjenjo"
I've come up with a couple ideas. The first is to drill from the top side of the roll, clear through both sides, and then weld the top hole shut.

I would just bite the bullet and do it this way, the more you think about alternatives, the more time you waist, when you could have it done and dusted by now. :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

UGLY OLDS

What He Said    ^^^^^^^^^^^^     Why re-invent the wheel   :?:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"
I've come up with a couple ideas. The first is to drill from the top side of the roll, clear through both sides, and then weld the top hole shut.

Seems like a simple quick solution
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carps

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

The solution, I used a round 3/8" burr, in a die grinder, cut the hole, and deburred it with a round file heated and bent at 90 degrees to finish the hole. Thanks for the ideas.