50 Mercury with 351W/AOD

Started by mrloboy, July 22, 2010, 03:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I have a customer that brought in a 50 Mercury and wishes to install a 351 Windsor and an AOD. Oil pan interference appears to be an issue to deal with. Should a person look at rebuilding the stock suspension and upgrading the steering & brakes, install a fatman style MII front, camaro clip or suggestions? Does anyone have experience with this combination?

enjenjo

I've done a couple. More than one way too.

If the original front end is in good shape, it's easy to lower with dropped uprights, Fatman has them. ECI has a nice disc brake conversion.

You can also get a conversion from Jamco to install Granada spindles on it.

The Fatman Mustang II clip is a nice piece also.

A Camaro clip is on the verge of being too wide, particularly if the car is low. It also causes problems with the steering and radiator. A GM metric clip is the right width, but is still front steer. An early Camaro, or Nova clip is much better, as they are rear steer.

The trans tunnel will probably have to be raised to clear an AOD. Use a van pan on the 351 to clear the crossmember.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

Thanks Frank,

I'm thinking that utilizing the stock front suspension with appropriate upgrades would be the best solution this time out. The front is in exceptional condition. Dropped uprights from Fatman and ECI brakes should provide a good system. I would like to also upgrade to a power steering box and the addition of a good sized anti-sway bar to improve drivability. I understand that an early 70's F100 steering box is not difficult to adapt. Might try that route.

I new that the bronco pan is suggested for improve clearance, but I did not realize that the van unit would bring similar results. It is much easier to find vans around this area.

The Jamco kit looks great and would be simple, but seems quite rich, but in the long run it might be a time saver as well.

Once I am done this Mercury, I have a 49 on the list that the owner would like to use a 460. I assume similar issues would need to be dealt with in this case. Any suggestions on finding a proper oil pan for this project? Any overdrive automatic trans that will work with the 460? This one comes from an early 70's Lincoln and has a C6 behind it.

enjenjo

QuoteAny suggestions on finding a proper oil pan for this project? Any overdrive automatic trans that will work with the 460?

Same application, E series vans with a 460 has a rear sump pan. As far as an OD trans, Art Carr makes an adapter to bolt an AOD to a 460. I would advise an upgrade on the trans behind a 460
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzford

Although it's been a few years, I bought  a van oilpan along with the correct pickup and mount from the dealer. I don't remember how much I paid but it was pretty reasonable. You might check there.

mrloboy

Quote from: "zzford"Although it's been a few years, I bought  a van oilpan along with the correct pickup and mount from the dealer. I don't remember how much I paid but it was pretty reasonable. You might check there.

Thanks, I will try the dealers route here.

DRD57

On the 56 Vic that I'm working on, the owner oted for a 4R70W overdrive auto rather than the AOD.

There were some considerations for improved shift points (I hear the AOD has a tendency to hunt around) but, the biggest plus for swapping into older cars is the smaller girth of the 4R70W compared to the AOD. The 4R70w is only slightly fatter than the C4 and only 4 inches longer.

mrloboy

Quote from: "DRD57"On the 56 Vic that I'm working on, the owner oted for a 4R70W overdrive auto rather than the AOD.

There were some considerations for improved shift points (I hear the AOD has a tendency to hunt around) but, the biggest plus for swapping into older cars is the smaller girth of the 4R70W compared to the AOD. The 4R70w is only slightly fatter than the C4 and only 4 inches longer.

I am more familiar with GM drivetrains having little experience installing Ford overdrives. Thanks for the heads up on the 4R70W. Sounds like the proper fit for the project. What vehicle models and years are they found? Are they available to bolt up to a 460? Thanks, Rick

DRD57

This 4R70W that has the same bellhousing pattern as a 351W came from an '01 F150 with a V6.

I'm not familiar enough with Ford engines to know what the bellhousing on a 460 looks like.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "DRD57"This 4R70W that has the same bellhousing pattern as a 351W came from an '01 F150 with a V6.

I'm not familiar enough with Ford engines to know what the bellhousing on a 460 looks like.

watch the engine  dowel pin diameter on the engines..

the 4r70 is narrower?  The pans are the same from AOD to the 4r70  trans, with a bolt hole or two moved around at one corner
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)