RamJet 350 Chevy Crate Engine

Started by Learpilot, July 06, 2010, 07:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I have a friend that has a '46 Ford Sedan and wants a new engine. He is looking at the RamJet 350 and the ZZ4.  Has anybody installed a RamJet 350 engine ? When you buy the engine does it come with a fuel pump? If not what pump did you use ? I don't think he needs a new fuel tank so will use an external pump.    
With the ZZ4 he will need need new headers with there d-port heads.
Are aluminum Heads better than cast iron ? I have heard if you get an aluminum head engine too hot it will blow a head gasket. Is that true ?
Thanks for your response !!!
Rick

Charlie Chops 1940

I don't have any experience with the Ramjet, but I do with the ZZ4. I've got 30.000+ on mine with no problems other than a slight oil drip from the rear. I used my old headers with soft copper gaskets. The round ports seem to cover the heads D-ports with no problem. The copper gaskets are wonderful for preventing leaks. My headers are the old Pro-Car brand that I put on the '40 over 25 years ago. I think Speed and Performance has that design now. Best small block close fit header I've ever had. I had them aluminized - a coating that has probably faded away now. I converted to a short water pump by carefully shaving any bumps off the plastic timing cover and the back of the pump.

The aluminum heads seem to tolerate 87 octane gas fairly well...sometimes on the road I'll use 87/89 mixed.

I've been very happy with the engine, it's a real work horse. Two trips to Bonneville, A/C on most of the time, averaged 16.5 mpg mountains and all.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

papastoyss

If your friend goes for the Ram Jet he would be better off to spring for the Tanks plastic tank w/ internal pumpIMHO. He will have to add a return line to the stock tank & the stock 1/4" fuel line is inadequate for FI use.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

What He Said  ^^^^^^^^^^^  .....

We have had "issues" with frame mounted pumps "quitting" at inopportune times ... :roll:  Cured on 2 different cars with changeover to "intank" pumps ...... 8)   Possibly something to do with the fuel cooling the pump :?:  .... :idea:  

Bob.............. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Learpilot

Quote from: "papastoyss"If your friend goes for the Ram Jet he would be better off to spring for the Tanks plastic tank w/ internal pumpIMHO. He will have to add a return line to the stock tank & the stock 1/4" fuel line is inadequate for FI use.
Great advice about the Tank. That is what I have except Tanks does not make a tank for my 36 Dodge with EFI internal pump. I have had my external for over three years with no problem. He is aware about the pressure and return lines. We are planning on using #6 AN braided hose for the pressure and return. I got a #6 bulkhead fitting and put it in my filler neck and it works fine. That was the recommend way from Holley 950 EFI (that is what I have).
THANKS ,Rick

40_Tudor

I'm running an 87 Tune Port in my 40 Tudor. Early version of the Ramjet, and it runs great. I started with an external pump but it started hard and the pump made a lot of noise. Had a friend build a fuel pump hanger for me and cut a hole in my stock tank. There was an article in one of the hot rod magazines on how to make it. I've got over 6K on the setup with no problems.
Here's a link that show how to install the pump hanger in a stock tank.
Tanks Inc sells a hanger. The tray holds gas so you don't starve the pump on corners.
Tell your friend to use an internal pump.
A little hassle in the beginning but well worth the trouble.

Joe

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2008/02/InTankFuelPump/index.php

wayne petty

a few words ... like thats possible on electric fuel pumps..

the in tank pumps are cooled by the fuel..

they are also designed to pick up fuel right from the strainer..

they are not designed to lift the fuel at all.. this is do to the design...

roller vane.. or sliding vane..   both of these will be damaged if run dry...

i know that this inline high pressure application pump is in a suction situation.. where it has to lift the fuel almost to the top of the tank.. and is external.. and not cheep. as i recall.. but the fuel flow is down.. from what many people like.  it may not be enough for a ramjet motor at full throttle..  so a pressure gauge on the fuel supply line is needed so you don't lean out and melt things.. .  i left the application for ease of remembering ..

Airtex Master/Fuel Pump
For your 1983 Toyota Cressida 2.8L FI 6 cyl  (think DOHC 5MGE supra motor)
Part Number:   E8000
Fitting Size:    Inlet -.470 in., outlet - M12 x 1 in.
Fitting Type:    Inlet - hose barb, outlet - pipe threaded
Gallons Per Hour:    30
Pressure Rating:    70-95 psi
this part number comes with additional parts so it will have hose barbs at both ends...

there are also bulk head fittings that can be mounted through the sending unit flange...  or next to the sending unit...  so you could hang a pump on a rigid tube next to the sending unit ..

you could also use some creativity to make bulk head connectors to pass the pump supply power through..

installing one of the high performance fram fuel filters .. the ones with the float bowl..  

or one of the ac delco GF-62s taken from a 76 to 85 seville or eldorado in the junk yard...    they are designed to withstand the full line pressure ...  and every parts store in the country has replacement filter cartridge

40_Tudor

I'll be at Columbus Good-Guys next weekend if you have any questions. I usually park just inside the front gate to the left back a few rows. Might be a little late Friday though, I have to give my dentists a boat payment about 8am.

Joe

Learpilot

Quote from: "40_Tudor"I'll be at Columbus Good-Guys next weekend if you have any questions. I usually park just inside the front gate to the left back a few rows. Might be a little late Friday though, I have to give my dentists a boat payment about 8am.

Joe
I would love to meet you at the Columbus Good guys show. The only problem is I live in the other Columbus in Geogria. I have been to the Goodguys show when it was at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.
THANKS for all the good info !
Rick

Learpilot

UPDATE ! My friend with the 46 Ford has decided to get the Ram Jet 350 and, will get a new tank with a in-tank pump. He has a little set back. He got a check up from the Dr. and he has a blockage in his heart that they can't put a stint in. He goes to the Dr. today to set up his open heart surgery. The new engine is on hold for a while. Please think and pray for him.
Thanks, Rick

PS, I called Tanks INC and there PA-2 in-tank pump will fit all of there tanks that have a flat top. I ordered a PA-2 in tank pump and have installed  it.
It works fine, but I can not hear it run. That is a good thing !
Rick

UGLY OLDS

QuoteIt works fine, but I can not hear it run. That is a good thing !
Rick
[/quote]

Our prayers are out for your friend ....DONT run that pump dry .....You'll burn it up or score the impeller ........

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

TEAM SMART

Learpilot

Quote from: "kb426"Best wishes for the surgery.
Larry made it through surgery A-OK and will be moved to a regular room later today or in the morning. I am glad he is doing fine and look foward when we can start going to car shows again.

Rick

Leon

Quote from: "40_Tudor"I'm running an 87 Tune Port in my 40 Tudor. Early version of the Ramjet, and it runs great. I started with an external pump but it started hard and the pump made a lot of noise. Had a friend build a fuel pump hanger for me and cut a hole in my stock tank. There was an article in one of the hot rod magazines on how to make it. I've got over 6K on the setup with no problems.
Here's a link that show how to install the pump hanger in a stock tank.
Tanks Inc sells a hanger. The tray holds gas so you don't starve the pump on corners.
Tell your friend to use an internal pump.
A little hassle in the beginning but well worth the trouble.

Joe

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2008/02/InTankFuelPump/index.php

Do you have the next page without having to buy a subscription to the magazine?