Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Trucks at Goodguys from Ugly Olds
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

58Apache

Is that two 348/409's mounted back to front in that last truck?

54stude

The v12 is a gmc motor.  see this link for info on these motors.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/TwinSix.htm

enjenjo

I kind of expected Bob to give us some background on these trucks, but nothing so far.

UGLY OLDS

Not too much background to give ...The V-12 I think belongs to a pinstriper that was set up on the fairgrounds ... He was constantly busy with people all around on Friday & Saturday......I did not want to interrupt him ....I would like to know how it is geared as those engines used to be governed at about 2500 RPM & the truck does not have "Extra" tall tires ...

The diesel seemed to be built on a later/bigger chassis & was more "truck"...I never did see the owner ....  The interior shot shows no "huge" trans tunnel like the truck I have seen in northern Il...Like to know what kind of trans & gearing is in this one also..Those little Detroits will spin up some RPM but not enough for decent road speed with smaller tires ...

Sorry I can't supply more ...Perhaps somebody will recognize them & provide more info....

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

The green truck looks to have a 4-53 in it. Those were typically hooked to a 4000 series Spicer 5 speed, and were governed at 2600 rpm. So it would run a decent speed, with an overdrive it would be no problem.

junkyardjeff

I seen a 47 to 53 GMC on ebay that had a diesel from the factory,I think it was a 3 cylinder motor and heard it did not have much power and gas motors would outrun them so thats probably why I never seen one before.

wayne petty

i had a friend with a 61 or 62 GMC  3/4 ton pickup..

he had a 3-53... a 5 speed trans...   drove that rig everywhere..

ran it in baja a bunch of times.. back in the late 60s or early 70's.

i would love to hear that twin 6 run...   must put up one heck of a racket.

i wonder with that stubby exhaust.. if it sounds like anything like a merlin..

Dusty

I worked for DuPont in Orange, Tx for 36 years, and we had an in house Firetruck that had the V-12 in it.  As our equipment was upgraded the truck was donated to a small community on Toledo Bend lake in East Texas.  I was always under the impression the engine was 2 V-6's coupled together.  But now after reading the article in the link above, it appears I didn't look close enough. I'd like to find the old truck now.  I imagine it's sitting in a field somewhere...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

wayne petty

one block.. one crank...  one cam...

4 heads...    

2 intakes... 2 carbs... 2 distributers..

junkyardjeff

The first time I seen the V12 I was walking through a junkyard and there was this 60 to 66 GMC road tractor that has V12 badges so I had to look,half the motor was under the floor and would love to hear one run.  Was thinking on buying the truck but the next time I went back it was gone,it would have been too expensive to tinker with it so its a good thing it was not there.

34ford

here's a close up

enjenjo

Having had one apart, I can tell you it was two blocks, bolted together, and the crank was two pieces, bolted together. none of them were standard V6 parts.

32coupe

A guy here in Oz put one of those V12s into a 32 coupe

It caused a bit of interest as well :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem