AC Question

Started by BFS57, July 12, 2010, 05:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I  was getting my Vicky all cleaned up and noticed that when I ran it, the AC wasn't blowing cold. Checked the charge and it was low so I put in a can of 134. The ac inside blows cold now but when I was re checking the charge, I noticed that the low side was ice cold, but the high side was Hot!, very Hot. I know I  don't have quite enough 134 in it yet Could a low charge be the problem or what??
Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question.

Bruce

wayne petty

did you have a fan blowing across the condenser????  lots of air flow to cool the HOT pressurized gas into a cool pressurized liquid????

hot is kinda normal... when compressing gasses.. they get hot..

when releasing the high pressurized liquid through the tiny metering hole into a low pressure area.. it gets cold.. as the molecules separate..

that is the reason they call it the condenser..

a funny story told to me by a former boss..   in the early 50s when chrysler came out with AC..   state farm insurance here in los angeles had some company cars equipped with it..  front and rear systems..

one hot day.. a group of workers decided to spend lunch in comfort.. ate their lunch in the car in the hot sun with the engine idling in the parking lot..   after a short while..  they high side pressures were so high.. the pressure hose to the rear unit exploded.. filling the car with freon..  sending the lunch club scattering..  my boss worked at central chrysler plymouth...   he was  the smartest mechanic i have ever met..
he also also was  WWII PBY flight mechanic..

enjenjo

As long as the pressures are good, I would not worry too much about the heat. As Wayne said, temps in the 200 degree range are normal
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

sounds like you got good advice above but talkin about temps reminded me of a story i like to tell.

i had just got one of them infrared temp guns, you know the one where you point it and pull the trigger to read the temp. as i sat there playing with my roommate's very beautiful daughter comes in. after she asked what it was i tossed it to her. while playing with it she points it at her arm, reads the temp and points it at me, reads the temp, then back at her arm, then back at me. this thing is broken, she says, because there is NO way you are hotter than me. :lol:  :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Quote from: "river1"sounds like you got good advice above but talkin about temps reminded me of a story i like to tell.

i had just got one of them infrared temp guns, you know the one where you point it and pull the trigger to read the temp. as i sat there playing with my roommate's very beautiful daughter comes in. after she asked what it was i tossed it to her. while playing with it she points it at her arm, reads the temp and points it at me, reads the temp, then back at her arm, then back at me. this thing is broken, she says, because there is NO way you are hotter than me. :lol:  :lol:

later jim

Blonde , is she? Got any pictures? :twisted:

river1

yup she's blonde but not the typical blonde

no pics for the heathens on here :wink:

58 Yeoman

Quoteas i sat there playing with my roommate's very beautiful daughter

Hmmm....a person could read that wrong. :wink:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

river1

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"

yes a person could :oops:  i left out a word it should have said "playing with IT" :lol:

later jim

enjenjo

Quote from: "river1"

yes a person could :oops:  i left out a word it should have said "playing with IT" :lol:

later jim

No wonder you were hot :roll:

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"

later jim

AND bothered :twisted:

dam i'm diggin a deeper hole everytime on this one

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"

later jim

AND bothered :twisted:

Quotedam i'm diggin a deeper hole everytime on this one

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............YUP........ :P  :P  :roll:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****