Mercury gets the ax

Started by phat46, June 02, 2010, 05:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Just on the news here, Ford is killing the Mercury brand, no growth is the reason given.  They are going to focus on Lincoln for new products. I had thought that Mercury could have been used to try out different ideas for Ford,  like things that were more of a gamble to see if they work. I think everybody new that the Mercs were just rebadged Fords and usually cost more. I think they should have gone back to the way it used to be, that they would have more of their own identity.

UGLY OLDS

The timeless joke was that a Mercury was a Ford with lockwashers ....

I have had 3 or 4 .. One was an '83 Capri RS (Mercury's "Mustang") .. Bought at very low mileage from my local dealer as a "Program Car" ....The thing had more '84 parts than you could shake a stick at ...
Firing order matched regular 302 --( Not the HO302..Cam was changed)
 Slightly "different" idle ..An incorrect Holley 4 bbl....
Prolly the strangest was a 5 speed trans.... ( not avail until '84.. :?  ) ...

What REALLY turns my crank is that the Gran Maquis & Crown Vic's are no longer available ...Good basic cars ..Rear wheel drive ..Room for 5 REAL people ...Last forever if you care for them & give you a true 20MPG ....

Now a "dedicated platform" for squads & taxi's only ....If the municapalities & taxi companies are demanding them,why does Ford insist on forcing something else on the public  :?:  :?:  :?:  :roll:

Replace them with a Town Car???     Why  :?:

Bob........... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

are demanding them,why does Ford insist on forcing something else on the public

i wonder... i ran across some CV info.. that showed onboard fire suppression gear built into the area just above the rear axle on PI models..

when the PDs fill every inch of trunk space tight with gear...  they have effectively removed the crumple zones from the trunks..  this moves the crumple zones forward .. crushing the fuel tanks.. jamming the doors closed .. only on HIGH speed into the rear of the car impacts..    hence the reason some officers are now parking at an angle when room is available on the shoulder..    

for those who want a CV.. and are coming to los angeles..  i have seen some really nice plain cloths CVs sell at the city auction for 1400 bucks.. yes.. they are 6 to 8 years old..  but they normally end up as taxi's and run another 200K miles.. or until the front core support fatigues and the nose of the car sags..

remember.. the 2004 and newer CV's and GMq's.. have a complete unboltable  front suspension to do transplants..     just right for some pick ups..  with the PI model brakes.. stopping should not be a problem..

HotRodLadyCrusr

I've got a '98 Gran Maquis with over 175,000 miles and LOVE it.  Nice ride, very comfy.  Will probably try to get another used one when this one goes or go back to the Town Car which I also love BUT I perfer cloth over leather seats.

My friends do call it my cop car.  8)
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.