TPI question

Started by 348tripower, May 21, 2010, 06:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have this 87 vintage 350 I bought. The intake manifold has a hole in it for the ninth injector but it is partially covered by the runners.  I am wondering if these were produced like that or what? the resident expert here in Dexter says there should be a plug in the hole and that it couldn't have been running like that. The kid I bought it from swears he heard it run.
Also, I assume this had an air pump on it because there is an area below the air conditioner where it would mount. The air  conditioner is on the passanger side up high and the alternator is on the driver side. I am looking for the belt routing for this. I guess I will have to get a pulley assembly to mount where the air pump was?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

slocrow

9th injector Don. I believe that option was later dropped on newer models................Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Fat Cat

When the change from MAF to MAP was made they dropped the 9th injector. On the newer intake manafolds I do not believe that they machined that hole out. It might be that you have a later intake that would not need the plug. As for the air pump deal there are several ways to go about it. If you can figure a routing that does not need anything in that location and covers all the accessories then you can go that route. But I know on the LT motors they make a idler pully that takes the place of the air pump for use on applications that did not have one.

tomslik

Quote from: "348tripower"I have this 87 vintage 350 I bought. The intake manifold has a hole in it for the ninth injector but it is partially covered by the runners.  I am wondering if these were produced like that or what? the resident expert here in Dexter says there should be a plug in the hole and that it couldn't have been running like that. The kid I bought it from swears he heard it run.
Also, I assume this had an air pump on it because there is an area below the air conditioner where it would mount. The air  conditioner is on the passanger side up high and the alternator is on the driver side. I am looking for the belt routing for this. I guess I will have to get a pulley assembly to mount where the air pump was?
Thanks,
Don

that extra injector is just for cold start (think chock).
later tuned ports didn't have 'em, they figured out they didn't need 'em or that they produced too much emmisions...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

348tripower

Quote from: "Fat Cat"When the change from MAF to MAP was made they dropped the 9th injector. On the newer intake manafolds I do not believe that they machined that hole out. It might be that you have a later intake that would not need the plug. As for the air pump deal there are several ways to go about it. If you can figure a routing that does not need anything in that location and covers all the accessories then you can go that route. But I know on the LT motors they make a idler pully that takes the place of the air pump for use on applications that did not have one.

Ok,
It looks as I have a manifold that has the 9th injector casting, but, it has not been completed. That is what I was trying to explain tho the local expert. There is a small portion of the hole exposed. I have searched for TPI pictures and found one showing the same condition.

I also found the air delete pulley. Seems some run with out it per the other pictures I found. So I will give that a try.
Thanks for the help
Don
Don Colliau

40_Tudor

Street and Performance.cc sells a plug for the ninth injector hole.
I changed my 87 5L TPI from MAF to MAP sensor so I put the plug in.
Put the plug a the freezer and heat the intake then pop it in.
S&P burned a chip for the 92 GM computor so it takes care of the cold start.