wiper system help

Started by WZ JUNK, May 24, 2010, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am looking at a wiper system manufactured by Specialty Power Windows.  It is a cable drive system were you can locate the motor in a remote location.  I have removed all of the original system as it mounted on the engine side of the firewall and I wanted a smooth firewall.  I have found another system that looks to be identical to the Specialty Power product but sold by It's A Snap Wiring and Cable.  This system is $130 cheaper.  Does anyone have experience with these two systems?  Are they the same product?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

The SPW system is an American made knock off of the Lucas system used on many British cars for 4 years, modified for adjustability. It uses a Ford motor I believe, and I have had no problems with any of the several systems I have installed, some in use for 10 years.

The It's a Snap is a Chinese copy of the SPW system. I know of two issues, the motor is noisy and poorly made, with replacements only available from It's a Snap. and the transmission housings are made of thinner material, allowing the gears to skip, getting the wipers out of sync.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

The It's a Snap is a Chinese copy of the SPW system. I know of two issues, the motor is noisy and poorly made, with replacements only available from It's a Snap. and the transmission housings are made of thinner material, allowing the gears to skip, getting the wipers out of sync.[/quote]

That is what I thought but I wanted to here it from somebody else.  I am going to go shopping next weekend at the NSRA show and I wanted to buy the wiper system.  I just wanted to be sure before I purchased it.  I am going to go with the SPW one.

Thanks Frank.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

sirstude

I had the SWP many years ago when I built the Studebaker, back then you could even order it without the motor.  The only thing I noticed, was make sure you use LOTS of grease, and make the bends as big a radius as you can.  Ken is still running the same setup over 20 years later, so must be pretty good.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

57larry

I have the SPW in my 57 for the past 10 yrs. works good, no problems