Can I mix PPG paint by weight?

Started by My52Chebby, May 11, 2010, 11:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi all,

When they mix paint for me at the paint shop they do it by weight.

I would like to mix small quantities and figure it would be best to do it by weight. The mix instructions only show the mixture by volume. Is there a conversion chart that would allow me to do it by weight?

I have a very accurate scale...

My52Chebby

unklian

ragdol

Wouldn't using weight instead of volume proportions come out the same. 3:1 mix would be 3 oz. of paint & 1 oz. of activator, or 1-1/2 oz. paint & 1/2 oz activator. Makes sense to me. Larry

wayne petty

one thing from the sidelines...

to mix by weight from a volume formula...

you need to measure out an exact volume sample.. and weight it..

of each of the liquids..

different liquids have different specific weights..  

so a liquid ounce of color... will weigh a different amount  than a liquid ounce of hardener..

you can also then calculate the volume to weight  to get your mix at the proper ratio...    you don't want it drying before it gets to the surface... leaves a terrible positive orange peal... almost like zolatone..

i have never sold automotive paint.. but tons of studio and refinishers products...  even got to deliver to the original dukes of hazard when one of the cast appeared .. walking her dogs.. in her daisy dukes..

something i will always remember.. along with the half dozen general lees scattered about the area...   i think that was the same trip i passed a pair of knight rider firebirds also..

Glen

Quote from: "ragdol"Wouldn't using weight instead of volume proportions come out the same. 3:1 mix would be 3 oz. of paint & 1 oz. of activator, or 1-1/2 oz. paint & 1/2 oz activator. Makes sense to me. Larry

As Wayne mentioned, the above does not work.  

if it asks for 3 to 1, you should measure it.

unklian

Quote from: "ragdol"Wouldn't using weight instead of volume proportions come out the same. 3:1 mix would be 3 oz. of paint & 1 oz. of activator, or 1-1/2 oz. paint & 1/2 oz activator. Makes sense to me. Larry

Paint, Reducers, and Hardeners, are not all the same density.
The same volume of each, will weigh different amounts.

enjenjo

I just called my buddy who has a body shop, with a paint mixing system. They do it both ways, and say it doesn't make a difference.  The paint formula is always done by weight for color consistency, and if they are spraying it right away, they add the thinner and hardner by weight at that time, But if they are not in the mixing room, they add the hardner and thinner by volume. In both cases they use the same mix ratios.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.