Cab Mount....

Started by Sean, July 15, 2004, 07:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Checking out my F100's steering (because it keeps eating Rag Joints), I found the main problem. Cab mount on the drivers side is completely rotten and has allowed the Cab to drop about 3/4". The way Ford designed the interface between the steering Column and Rag Joint, there is no allowance for mis-alignment and thats why the Rag Joints keep shredding.

I really can't see why the mount rotted so badly anyway. There is no rust anywhere else under the truck, and the weep-hole in the mount was not clogged up with anything. Must have just been a junky piece of steel...

58 Yeoman

I think the Fords were known for that.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

I think they still make replacement cab mounts for them, not a big deal to install. A bit dirty maybe.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think they still make replacement cab mounts for them, not a big deal to install. A bit dirty maybe.

Yeah, I think LMC or somebody like that had them in a catalog a while back.

wvcab

Quote from: "Sean"Checking out my F100's steering (because it keeps eating Rag Joints), I found the main problem. Cab mount on the drivers side is completely rotten and has allowed the Cab to drop about 3/4". The way Ford designed the interface between the steering Column and Rag Joint, there is no allowance for mis-alignment and thats why the Rag Joints keep shredding.

I really can't see why the mount rotted so badly anyway. There is no rust anywhere else under the truck, and the weep-hole in the mount was not clogged up with anything. Must have just been a junky piece of steel...

when you say the cab mount is rotten, are you talking about the steel, or the rubber cushion?

Robert

Sean

Quote from: "wvcab"

when you say the cab mount is rotten, are you talking about the steel, or the rubber cushion?

Robert

The Steel has rotted all around the bottom where it contacts the Rubber biscuit. It has dropped down around the biscuit and is setting on the frame mount. Temporary fix though....I jacked up the body and layed a 1x4 across the frame to hold the body up. Works for now, the steering is lined up like its supposed to be anyway.... :wink:

rooster

That makes it a ragjoint rescue!  Mybe you can find a good one at the boneyard and cut it out or fab somthing yourself! Hope you make it to MoKan!