Need Lathe Advice

Started by UGLY OLDS, March 29, 2010, 09:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

I picked up a Craftsman 6" Lathe ..Same as an Atlas 618. Older machine ..No wear on the ways ..Needed a through clean up & adjusting..Also came with the original manuals ..
My question ...It came without a tool post . In doing some surfing , I have seen a few go through We-Bay for $40.00 ++++.  I also found NOS  posts on the bay & from Clausing tool..YEOW..   :shock:   Is the post made from a special type of material or is it regular steel??  Is there another tool post I can find & maybe have cut down??  I also have seen "Quick-Change" tool posts ..I understand how they work but I don't see a need for them in my case ..
I don't plan to make parts for NASA ...Just turn some small things when needed..
Also ...The lathe came with a box of "collets" but none seem to fit the spindle ..( They are too small)  ..What are collets used for other than in the headstock spindle??   I have visited all the websites I can find & still have questions .... :?

Thanks .... :D

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

I buy stuff from Enco pretty often. I had a 10" Atlas years ago. I bought a tool post holder for it from Enco. If you have them send you a catalog, you'll get an idea what's out there. They have monthly sales so there is room for some bargains.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

try KBC tools,cheap and good enough for what you are intending to do.Take the chuck off the lathe and see if there is a taper in the spindle hole at the chuck end . If there is a taper it should match the one on your collets. You should also have a hollow tube with threads at one end and some form of tightening device at the other. Collets are great if you do a lot of stuff in the collet sizes. A collet should hold a piece dead on center every time which allows you to remove and replace a piece and still retain concentricity.A three jaw will not usually spin a workpiece exactly on center and when you remove a part and rechuck it ,it will not be spinning concentric with the previous cuts. I have probably stated things that are obvious and if so I apologise. Now .. when are you getting a mill??

enjenjo

You can find out what series the collets are, and buy more as you need them. I use 5C collets on my lathe, some use the same collets as milling machines.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

PeterR

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"The lathe came with a box of "collets" but none seem to fit the spindle ..( They are too small)  ..What are collets used for other than in the headstock spindle??:

The collets do not always directly into the spindle, but may use a tapered adaptor. For example the Southbend I had used an adaptor with external M3 to match the spindle bore, and an internal 3C taper to match the outside of the collet.

Remove the scroll chuck
Screw the thread protector onto the snout of the spindle
Insert the adaptor into the spindle, give it a tap to seat in taper
Insert selected collet into adaptor
Insert hollow draw bar from other end of spindle until is touches back of collet
Turn handwheel to engage thread and tighten collet

After a new set up I always fitted a piece of 3/8" drill blank in the collet and mounted a tenths dial gauge in the tool post then rotated the spindle by hand to check run out.  If there is runout, strip and check the tapers are clean and reassemble.  If there is still run out try rotating the adaptor about a quarter turn in the spindle then check again; repeat if necessary.

edit

Just found these pics that show the adaptor.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=22

UGLY OLDS

Thanks for all the info guys ...I pulled the 3 jaw as suggested ....Inside the spindle is a 2MT ( ?) taper. I believe the tail stock has a "1MT" taper?? The spindle ID is 17/32" .. All the collets I have are smaller than the spindle .. I found a photo on line showing what PeterR is explaining with the threaded bar & the knob or handwheel tightened from the opposite end of the spindle .. My purchase collection had nothing like that ..
I did find that a lot of the tool bits that came with the lathe appear to be for routers. Are small collets like these used with a type of router ???  I will try to post photos later....

Any Ideas on a tool post  ???

Thanks again... :D

Bob ............ :wink:

UGLY OLDS

Lets try some fuzzy photos... These are some poor photos of the collets & some of the bits that came with the lathe ..The inside of ALL the collets are smooth & have no threaded area. ...All are split down the outside away from the "tool insertion " flanged end . They almost appear to slide into some other kind of tool holder but all are different  OD diameters from 1/8" up to approx 3/8" ..( Per the prior post , all of the tooling for this lathe is very small...The 3-jaw chuck is approx 4" in diameter.)
For reference , the small shaft in the lower right corner with the flat machined into the center is 1/4" by approx 1-1/2"..( I don't know what is for but I have 7 of them)
 The tool bits have shafts that range from 1/8" up to 1/2" .. Some of the cutting edges have carbide tips but most are ground steel ..All are VERY sharp..

Hope somebodys got an idea ...
Thanks ....

Bob............. :wink:

Leon

I have a quick change holder on mine and love it.  If I want to change from turning to cutoff or boring, etc. it only takes seconds to change.

chimp koose

I have done keyways in a shaft before using a quick change boring bar holder and an end mill mounted in the chuck.Not exactly the textbook method but will work if the milling machine is busy and you have to have it now.

UGLY OLDS

I found this site that seems to explain all the accessories ... :D       It turns out a lot of what I received was for different types of machines ..      All I need it for is general turning & making chips ... :?    

AND  NO   :!:

I DON'T plan on "collecting the whole set"   :!:

Thanks Again .......

http://flywheelmachinetools.com/Hobbieatlas6lathe.html

http://flywheelmachinetools.com/Hobbies/Atlas/M50-13_17.pdf

Bob ........ :wink:

enjenjo

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM?cm_mmc=Didit-_-Google-_-NA-_-SEM&gclid=CObcybC5jKECFZ9K5wodxkSLQQ

Is a good source of tooling. They have some offshore stuff that is priced very low, and still does a good job. You can buy the collets one at a time as you need them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Thanks Frank...I'm doin' lots of lookin' & lotsa learning .....Pretty soon ..I'm makin' chips... :shock:

Bob.... :wink: