Auction in Iowa?

Started by jaybee, April 10, 2010, 08:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Hope this isn't taken as unwanted advertisement but this isn't my stuff so please forgive me.  I have a friend who isn't into cars, with a relative who died recently.  The relative had a car collection and the family would like to dispose of it.  They're thinking of an auction, but their main concern is to make sure they get fair value.  I can't speak to the condition of these cars either, but at least some of them are in decent shape as they've been kept garaged and on blocks when inactive.  If anyone has suggestions about how I might best advise my friend to proceed I'd appreciate it.  The list of vehicles includes:

Garaged--
1938 Cadillac Model 38-90 V16
1948 Lincoln Continental
1960 Ford Sunliner
1941 Cadillac

Stored outside--
1965 Cadillac
1946-48 KB1 (??)
1948-51 International Trucks
1965 Chevy Truck
1965 Ford Fairlane Sedan
1966 Ford Fairlane 2 dr
1957 Chevy Bel Aire (unknown 2 dr or more door)
1958 Chevy Pickup
1959 Chevy Pickup
1946-47 Chevy flat bed truck
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

There is a tier of auction companies, under R and M, and Krause, that are experienced in classic cars. I think I would look to one of them for a sale. I can't give you a name, but there are several that advertise in Hemmings.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

39deluxe

Kruse ( http://www.kruseinternational.com/home/index.asp ) is best known for the huge Labor Day weekend classic car auction in Auburn but they do a lot of these estate type auctions of smaller collections throughout the year. They also do real estate, boats planes and about anything else you can think of to sell.

Tom

HotRodLadyCrusr

I personally would stay as far away from Kruse at this point as possible.  He's having a cash flow and tax problems.  Has been robbing peter to pay paul so to speak.  Goggle is name for more details.

Not really sure if RM Auctions would be the right one either.  They usually deal in very large collections or high end cars.  They have an auction here in Detroit the last weekend in April.  If the cars were closer to here or one of their other auction locations it would amke since but to add in the travel expenses??  The family would probably be better off hiring a local auction house to do the work and have the auction on site with all the other odds and ends they want to sell.

Feel free to PM my pal Guy from RM and he can probably steer you in the right direction.
MotoringIcons@hotmail.com
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

UGLY OLDS

Look at this site ....I know nothing of them but see them running A LOT of auctions for exactly what you are descibing in Iowa & all over the upper midwest ....

Look at their site for more info ...

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

Thanks for all the feedback folks.  I'm sure I can steer my friend to someone who can help.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Stakebed

I'll second Vanderbrinks, they seem to do a good job advertising in the right places to get a good turnout. I've been to one of her auctions and it seemed well run.  Jim