Search for electrical connector

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 17, 2010, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am looking for a threaded connector like in the photo,

This is a connector that would pass voltage ( 12v dc)  through a panel or  bulkhead ,  trans pan.  This one is 1/4 inch pipe thread

I have looked about the net and I am not sure what the proper name for the part is.  Looked at Waytek  ,  McMaster Carr  and other sites.

I find bulk head connector type design for multiple wires.  I need a single stud type or a blade type connector for slide on connector.

This needs to be  a sealed unit for use in hot  liquids

probably  10amps , 12 volts through it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Do you need a sealed connector? How many Amps?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i have been looking for some hermetic single conductor pipe thread connectors for years...

i usually have to build my own with brass fittings...

usually a pipe thread on one end... and a compression fitting on the other..

a length of teflon wire insulation from some stranded wire .. i got scraps from my brothers speaker wire installations    but nylon tubing is one thing i have been looking at..  a chunk of brazing rod with some small brass washers silversoldered on.. along with a male terminal on the inside..

since these are used my me... i usually have a single section of european style terminal block on the outside to connect the wire to...

some O rings instead of a brass farrell..

is this for a fuel tank .. to go through the sending unit face plate for an internal pump????/   or to thread through the side of a transmission case...

i am taking that you want it professional...

teflon insulation can withstand some low temp silver soldering.. right next to it...

i'll be back...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Do you need a sealed connector? How many Amps?

10 amps  would be fine.

Needs to  be a sealed unit , for use in oil
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"

is this for a fuel tank .. to go through the sending unit face plate for an internal pump????/   or to thread through the side of a transmission case...

i am taking that you want it professional...

hot oil  , trans case  pass  through in custom application

Something very similar to what is pictured would be real nice.  A round  slip on  electrical connector fits this piece in the photo.
Tony

wayne petty

Tube Connection / Fitting
Product Line:   Weatherhead
Part Number:       WH 3200X4

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=WH_3200X4_0215868617#

a few minutes on a lathe.. to open up the inside of the female end.. leaving a ridge to prevent blow out..    some epoxy and brass connectors and you might make your own..

or just leaving the female threads and pouring in the epoxy with the wire centered in a jig..

i am still looking around.. but i have not found anything like it yet...

i also have not found any chemistry equipment supply catalogs..

Crosley.In.AZ

wayne,

I could build my own.  Seems like finding a source for the part is a bit difficult.  I hate that ,   when i have the part in front of me

For vibration on the part,  I wonder if a ureathane  sealant would be preferred,  instead of a hard  epoxy ? Or sillicone the wire in the fittin.  

ANy brass fittin ,drill through it ,slip a wire in , add sillicone
Tony

Old Blue

The picture you posted looks more like a temperature sensing probe with a connection point for the wire on the outside than an electrical connector to send power through a threaded connection.

My son installed something that looks just like that as a temp sensor for an oil temp gauge.

enjenjo

I found what you want on the web, I am not finding a source, at a resonable price. The ones I am finding are MIL spec and very dear.

wayne petty

could you post the mil spec part number...
there are several mil surplus stores around la...

and how many do you need...

i had a contact over at walkerproducts.com      they have a factory that makes air and coolant temp sensors...   along with all their carb stuff..

i too saw some similar looking devices..  they were for sanitary installations of thermometers.   over at omega.com    they have a giant catalog.. thats free .. but you have to pay for shipping..  not something i would ever use...

just a thought...

enjenjo

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Old Blue"The picture you posted looks more like a temperature sensing probe with a connection point for the wire on the outside than an electrical connector to send power through a threaded connection.

My son installed something that looks just like that as a temp sensor for an oil temp gauge.

the part does look like a sensor,  it is not. It is a straight through  brass  connector.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"here is the page they are on

http://www.pavetechnologyco.com/design/terminal_productindex.html

Frank,

I have  also  used that design on various trans applications...  the connector usually comes with the parts we buy outside.  the vendors will not give up a source for these connectors.

So i decided to chase them down.

I appreciate ideas and leads.
Tony

Old Blue

Just as a side note, once you find the connector you need, I recently made a discovery that may help you with a choice for high temperature resistant wire.

I have a home made vacuum forming table and mold plastic motorcycle fenders.

The wires were burning off the heating elements. I went down to a scrap metal yard where they were recycling kitchen stoves.

The wire used to transfer current to the stovetop elements is high temperature resistant stranded wire which is about 14 gauge.

It is imprinted on the insulation that it's rated for 200 degrees Celcius (392 F)

It's tough stuff and withstands extreme heat real well.

I believe I'm gonna strip some more stoves and get some I can use in places on my roadster.

Usually you can get sections from 2-3 feet long, but you can always splice it  :wink:

Larry

wayne petty

old blue...

check out some of the HIGH Temp wires on this link..

http://www.daburn.com/hi-temperaturehi-voltage.aspx

up to 1500F...  but i bet its really expensive..

good call on the high temp electric range hook up wire...

just curious... are you planning on using it for the starter connections??/

there are spools of high temp aircraft braided and jacketed insulated wire at the local surplus stores..   i usually try to keep some purple 12 gauge around to redo the S wire on gm's