Flex Plate question

Started by 348tripower, April 17, 2010, 10:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a 87 to 95 350 TPI engine for the COE. What flex plate do I need to hook up to my TH400?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "348tripower"I have a 87 to 95 350 TPI engine for the COE. What flex plate do I need to hook up to my TH400?
Thanks,
Don

what diameter  torque converter do  you have?

13 inch  or  a 12 inch converter.  two different bolt patterns diameter

Does the converter have threaded pads on it ?  Or  a pad - bracket  with hole in it for a bolt and nut attachment ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

348tripower

Looks to be 12" Has a 168 tooth flex plate on the carb engine that is in it  and the converter is about 3/4 inch per side smaller. 168 tooth flex plate is about 14 1/4 dia. Has brackets for nuts and bolts.

\
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "348tripower"I have a 87 to 95 350 TPI engine for the COE. What flex plate do I need to hook up to my TH400?
Thanks,
Don

what diameter  torque converter do  you have?

13 inch  or  a 12 inch converter.  two different bolt patterns diameter

Does the converter have threaded pads on it ?  Or  a pad - bracket  with hole in it for a bolt and nut attachment ?
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

168  tooth flywheel ,  may have dual bolt pattern  diameters for converter.  A t-400  13 inch diameter converter   has large bolt diameter pattern.  this would be the threaded pad design for bolt only

t-350  converter would be smaller diameter pattern  with pad -bracket for bolt and nut attechement
Tony

348tripower

Quote from: "Crosley"168  tooth flywheel ,  may have dual bolt pattern  diameters for converter.  A t-400  13 inch diameter converter   has large bolt diameter pattern.  this would be the threaded pad design for bolt only

t-350  converter would be smaller diameter pattern  with pad -bracket for bolt and nut attechement

So we are saying that I have a 350 converter in this 400? I will check for the dual bolt pattern today.
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "Crosley"168  tooth flywheel ,  may have dual bolt pattern  diameters for converter.  A t-400  13 inch diameter converter   has large bolt diameter pattern.  this would be the threaded pad design for bolt only

So we are saying that I have a 350 converter in this 400? I will check for the dual bolt pattern today.

I should clarify...  a chevy design converter has the bracket for bolt and nut on the t-350 converter..

. the Buick - Olds,  Pontiac t-350 converter will have a  threaded  pad for bolt only .  This would be the same design as the t-400 converter threaded pad

t-400 converter will measure about 13.5  inches in diameter.. the common  v-8 t-350   converter will measure 12.5 inches  =  1 to 1.125  inches less  in over all diameter

to check the spacing on the flexplate.. should be 6 holes  for converter . A dual pattern plate , the holes will have 3 that are closer to the teeth than the other 3.

Some flex plates will have 6 holes at equal spacing and could have been used for a 6 pad converter in a HD application
Tony