JB weld / Panel Bond

Started by freddrew, March 11, 2010, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddrew

I have to replace the rear window chanels in a 42- 48 Chevrolet Aero Sedan.  The clips that hold the chanel in place were punched into the chanel.  there are 4 small triangle cuts in each clip that were pushed from the backside, through the chanel and bent over. The tabs are not reusable due to the bent tips breaking off when straightened.  The new chanel is fabric wrapped on the backside with fuzzies on the inside.

I am considering cutting the fabric off the chanel on the backside, where the clips should go and JB Weld or Panel Bond the clips in place.  After the adhesive has cured, I will have to glue the fabric in place to keep it from fraying.

Has anyone tried something like this, or have any suggestions.  Please help

Fred Drew
Fred

phat46

Quote from: "freddrew"I have to replace the rear window chanels in a 42- 48 Chevrolet Aero Sedan.  The clips that hold the chanel in place were punched into the chanel.  there are 4 small triangle cuts in each clip that were pushed from the backside, through the chanel and bent over. The tabs are not reusable due to the bent tips breaking off when straightened.  The new chanel is fabric wrapped on the backside with fuzzies on the inside.

I am considering cutting the fabric off the chanel on the backside, where the clips should go and JB Weld or Panel Bond the clips in place.  After the adhesive has cured, I will have to glue the fabric in place to keep it from fraying.

Has anyone tried something like this, or have any suggestions.  Please help

Fred Drew

Fred can you get the clips from someplace like Chevs of the 40's, or are they actually a part of the channel itself?

freddrew

Quote from: "phat46"

Fred can you get the clips from someplace like Chevs of the 40's, or are they actually a part of the channel itself?

I checked the catalogues that I have and none list the clips.  The clips were pressed on to the channel.

Fred
Fred

enjenjo

Restoration Specialties, and Supply  814 467 9842 have the clips. Their part number is 1891 priced at $.85 each. But that's not the way I did mine.

I drilled the channel, and Pop riveted it into place with 1/8" rivets. I used rivets with very small heads, and after drilling the hole, I used a small screw driver the move the fuzzys out of the way, so the rivet was buried in the pile at the bottom of the channel. You could also do it with very small sheet metal screws, but the heads are bigger and harder to hide. I think I would use a flat head screw, and countersink the holes with a punch, on a hard surface before installing.

I don't think the clips will hold with glue, they are spring clips, and distort somewhat while installing. If the old clips are servicable outside of the tabs, you could probably rivet them in place with some real small hollow rivets.

For the belt fuzzies, they were originally riveted into place with a wire rivet. I formed new staples out of .045 annealed stainless  safety wire, drilled new holes for them with a 1/16" bit, and clamped them into place with a small pair of channel locks, one side at a time. This allowed me to bury the staple down into the ptle, so it did not contact the glass.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

What He Said ^^  ...   Mine have the Itty Bitty Flat head screws buried into a recessed,( smacked with a center punch) , area & the fuzzy felt folded back over ...

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

papastoyss

I also use a very small ss flathead countersunk screw to hold the channel in it's bracket. I have also heard of using urethane to glue the channel in place.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

freddrew

Many thanks for the suggestions.  I think I will panel bond both chanel end clips that are not accessable to pop rivet inside the rear panel.  They fit into a grooved slide that locks the chanel ends in position.  The rest of the Chanel can be riveted without a problem.

Fred Drew
Fred

cr55

I also used the very small s/s screws. I had a guy from a glass shop come to my garage to cut all the glass after a chop. He supplied the screws that came from his shop. Very easy to install and remove! The heads are so small they can't be seen under the felt....CR