Cleaning Clogged Fuel lines on older cars...

Started by wayne petty, July 25, 2010, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

cleaning clogged fuel lines on older cars... until you can get a new line installed...

use a length of speedo cable core...

2 people and a variable speed drill....

one person at the open end of the disconnected at both ends fuel line...

shove the speedo cable core in as far as you can get it...

the other person with the variable speed drill chucked to the end of the speedo core...

have the drill driver start to turn slowly.. while keeping a light tension to keep the core from kinking, flopping... twisting..

the spiral winding of the core will work its way into the fuel line... if you keep some grip on the core as it spins..

this lets you snake out dirt and debris from the clogged fuel lines.  since the speedo cable core will go around corners..  it works SO much better than just jamming in coat hangers..

you might want to rig up some kind of spray can at the far end to wash out the line...

this is a sure way to clean out clogged fuel lines... that have been filled with sediment and rust..

the first car i did this to the lines were so clogged.. that i was able to pump the line down to 23 inches of vacuum .. and it held that vacuum for 45 seconds or so.. with the far end hooked to the pick up tube in the tank... this is why the car would run out of fuel if driven more than 25MPH...

i noticed this problem when i was doing a full flow fuel pump test... where the output of the fuel pump was directed at the carb end into a 2 liter plastic soda bottle...

the first 2 pulses from the pump were full.. then each one got smaller and smaller until they stopped..  while the engine was still cranking..

this told me i had a fuel supply problem..

petrolhead

Or you can disconnect the fuel line from the carb connect your air blower and when you hear bubbles in the tank jobs done , the only thing that worries me with the speedo cable idea is,metal cable,metal fuel lines,friction, spark, BOOM
Regards
Petrolhead
"Dare to be different,No Cookie Cutter Car for Me"