Salt flats?

Started by 2rods, July 12, 2004, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

When is the best time to go to the Bonneville salt flats and when are the best events? Thinking of maybe going this summer but could go inthe fall if that is a better time? Thanks guys.

Cword

I chose Speedweek back in 1998 and have now been back 4 times.
I haven't been to any of the other events, and so can't honestly compare it.
That said, compared to any event I've ever been to, Speedweek is the best.

The event is so infectious that we've got our own entry for the past few years and I'm looking forward to a turn in the drivers seat this summer.

Tech August 13
Racing starts at noon August 14 and continues through the week.

mike
--

1FATGMC

I agree with Mike that if you are only going to one event go to Speedweek in August.  It is the oldest, biggest and hottest of the events.  Due to the "hottest" part I will take my wife to either the Sept. or Oct. event sometime so she can see what it is all about.

Me, I want to run in the August event with a lakester eventually.  I'd like to run my pickup in the Sept. event at some point after I get a new engine in it.  They have a 130 mph class and 150 mph (more safety equip.) class that you can run whatever you show up in and it costs less than the Speedweek event.

If you are going this year finding a motel room for Friday or Sat. nights is probably about impossible, unless, Bob still has some rooms.  You can camp free with no facilities with some of us on the road going from the interstate to the salt.

Hope you can make it,

Sum

1FATGMC

Mike a little off topic of this post:

When do you guys get there and setup your pits?

How long does it take you to get through tech on Friday?

We probably won't get there until Friday afternoon around 2:00.  I'm wondering if by the time we get setup, probably an hour or two min. if we will still have enough time to get to tech inspection.

The tech isn't in town anymore on friday is it?

Would you recommend we get the car off the trailer and over to tech right away and then set the pits up later or try and do both at the same time if we can find some help?

Any other helpful hints for "first timers" would sure be apprecaiated.

Thanks,

Sum

P.S.  Boy I sure envy you getting in a car and running down the salt at speed.  I hope I can do it in a couple years.  Have fun :D ,  Sum

Cword

Sum,
Tech is on the salt, last year the line/wait was huge.  Getting in line early and having some one babysit the car while the rest of the crew works on the pit is the way to go.  The later in the day it gets the crankier the tech, they've seen /heard "oops I left it in the pit/truck" too often.

last year we were in line when the gates opened and made the mistake of setting up the pit before going to tech.  We won't do it that way again.  It only takes a couple folks to look after the car and move it through the line, once they're a few cars from inspection someone could run to the pit and get any other crew necessary.
I think we were in line 3 or four hours last year.

Tech continues Saturday morning, that's also an option.

While you're in line for tech guys like Model T Steve will come by and do peliminary paperwork, inspect fire suits and helmets etc.  Make sure you've got all the parts of the car with you, restraints, chutes, safety gear especially.  Body panels (primarily those around the engine compartment) and wheel covers should be off for inspection, but accompany the car. If panels are off the process is quicker and the inspector appreciate the easier quick access to the car.

I'm sure you already know to try and pit track side for better background music. If you see space near us check it out, we have a Chef along and it sure is nice to have the food service handy when you're working.  Rob runs the food service on a donation basis.  

Once through tech you've got heaps of time to make the pit comfortable.  

We found tech to be the most stressful time of the meet.  It's mostly "exam day nerves" as your years work is checked out.  Even if you're not questioned on any points there's alway that nagging feeling that they might find something overlooked.  Also it's like dealing with the police/customs or the military,  you have to answer obvious inane questions without getting upset or "smart".

Mike
--

purplepickup

Thanks for posting this stuff publicly instead of via emails.  It's interesting to know more about what happens "behind the scenes".

30 days and counting..... :D
George

1FATGMC

Thanks Mike that really helps.  I'm sure by the time we get there Friday the line will really be long.

It would be great to pit near you guys, but those pits will likely also all be gone.

c ya there,  Sum

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Thanks Mike that really helps.  I'm sure by the time we get there Friday the line will really be long.

It would be great to pit near you guys, but those pits will likely also all be gone.

c ya there,  Sum

I was thinking that Hooley said we had a spot reserved by someone he knows.  They are to get checked in and have us a spot next to them.  Thanks for the post Mike, it makes me want to leave Sum's about 3 in the morning and head north but I know we are supposed to be having fun and not make this into a more stressful experience.  I made one of the fiberglass tail light bezels this morning and I am going now to pull the other one out of the mold.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"it makes me want to leave Sum's about 3 in the morning and head north

I'm thinking maybe when you guys get in here Thursday that we load up the shelter and keep going that day and get up by SLC, unless you get in here late.  John, I'm going to call Hooley and will be back with you about this.

c ya, Sum

av8

Quote from: "Cword". . . We found tech to be the most stressful time of the meet.  It's mostly "exam day nerves" as your years work is checked out.  Even if you're not questioned on any points there's alway that nagging feeling that they might find something overlooked.  Also it's like dealing with the police/customs or the military,  you have to answer obvious inane questions without getting upset or "smart".

Mike

Mike--Have to agree about how stressful Tech can be. I've been fortunate in that I haven't been involved since '95 when we ran Salt 'N Peppers. Any work since then that I've done on the Tardel-McKenzie MR has not been subject to scrutineering.  :D

Like you and the rest of the North of 49 crew, we're all grateful in the end that the SCTA-BNI tech crew takes their job as seriously as they do. And it doesn't end in Tech; it gets tough on the starting line as well. Elyce shut us down at the start of our first pass in '95 because she didn't like the look of the arm-restraints hookup. We quickly corrected it, restarted the motor, and laid down a qualifying run!

As you well know, Mike, these folk are some of the best friends you could hope, even if they do get a bit * at times. :lol:

Carps

If their gettin * and grumpy helps keep you alive, then they are the best freinds you could have in the whole world!
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Cword

Given that tech day, and the start are both packed with high tension, high spirit, and extreme seriousness, it's amazing how smoothly everything goes down at B'ville.

Yes we do appeciate the efforts and concerns of the staff. In fact I've had "team dash plaques" made up this year to thank them.  

The biggest thing for all participants to be aware of though is that at these particular times in the event are when a miss-spoken word or action could ruin the relationship/experience.  It is important to keep in mind that we're dealing with technical issues and the critisisms and questioning are not personal attacks.  Come to think of it these are the times when face to face encounters become most like the internet.

mike
--

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Cword"Given that tech day, and the start are both packed with high tension, high spirit, and extreme seriousness, it's amazing how smoothly everything goes down at B'ville.

Yes we do appeciate the efforts and concerns of the staff. In fact I've had "team dash plaques" made up this year to thank them.  

The biggest thing for all participants to be aware of though is that at these particular times in the event are when a miss-spoken word or action could ruin the relationship/experience.  It is important to keep in mind that we're dealing with technical issues and the critisisms and questioning are not personal attacks.  Come to think of it these are the times when face to face encounters become most like the internet.

mike

Sounds like real good advice Mike.  

Thanks,  Sum