ball joint questions

Started by reborn55, February 27, 2010, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Working on front end of wifes coupe and found lower ball joint very loose.  Nut had backed off to the cotter pin.  Tightened nut up--took up play but cotter pin hole too far away to engage castle nut.  Pulled the nut and found where it had worn away part of teh top boss where the nut tightened.  Used about an 1/8 grade 8 washer between nut and boss and it tightened up.  torqued it  and installed cotter pin and all the play is gone.  Is this an acceptable cure or do I need to find another spindle.  Any recommendations ideas would be appreciated.  this car may be car from hell junior(but I hope not)
Thanks

P.S. Nova front end on 48 Chevy

enjenjo

It's acceptable if it stays tight. If not you may be changing a spindle. When they are loose like that, they seldom wear the taper much.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Should be OK . ...  seems like some of the mustang II tube type control arms use a washer between the nut and spindle
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Should be OK . ...  seems like some of the mustang II tube type control arms use a washer between the nut and spindle

yup

BUT make sure the taper in the spindle ain't hosed up, if it is, then you get to buy a new one.
not a good idea to run 2 different tapers....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list