Good Smooth Riding Shocks for M-II Front End??

Started by acr, February 14, 2010, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acr

What's a good, smooth riding brand & model shock for a Mustang II front end with tubular upper & lower arms & what about gas shocks?
Also is there a specific year, make & model shock to look for? My old shocks are 1-3/4" diameter, 11-3/8" long compressed & 16" extended from the center of the eyelet to the top of the shaft.

enjenjo

Do you have the stock Mustang shock mounting? On a stock Mustang setup, the shock also is the suspension snubber.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

acr

I believe it does, from what I remember. It is a sealed body, with a stem end on the top mount & two typical rubber bushings & nut, no other bushings at that end. The bottom doughnut end is a fixed "T" with a round, hollow tube to bolt it on, total width of the T is 3-1/4".

enjenjo

Well, I have been using Gabriel shocks for some time now, and they seem to work good for me. Gas charged in my case. The ones I use have a rubber snubber under the top support bushing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

acr

Interesting, the shocks I took off look like Monroes, are identical in makings & size excpt one has a 1/2" longer top stem. Both marked "Made in USA", but have two different numbers, #32067 & #20815. The latter looks older & doesn't come back as a Monroe number. If the 32067 is a Monroe it's for various 1965-1976 Cadillac & Buick. No info on the 20815.