700r4 shift prob

Started by z-71 pro., March 08, 2010, 03:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z-71 pro.

does any one know y my 700r4 wants to slip in 3rd or 4th

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "z-71 pro."does any one know y my 700r4 wants to slip in 3rd or 4th

if 3rd gear slips,4th gear will.  it is the design of the  trans.

A common problem with the 700 is the 3-4  clutch pack.

Year ,make, model  of vehicle?

Mileage ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

z-71 pro.

its a 1990, z-71, fresh rebuild. it did it before the rebuild and after about 500mi after it did it again.  then i put a valve body kit in it and no change

enjenjo

Quote from: "z-71 pro."its a 1990, z-71, fresh rebuild. it did it before the rebuild and after about 500mi after it did it again.  then i put a valve body kit in it and no change

If the throttle valve is not set correctly, it will burn up the clutches in  500 miles or less.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

z-71 pro.

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "z-71 pro."its a 1990, z-71, fresh rebuild. it did it before the rebuild and after about 500mi after it did it again.  then i put a valve body kit in it and no change

If the throttle valve is not set correctly, it will burn up the clutches in  500 miles or less.
it was set correctly.

enjenjo

Quote from: "z-71 pro."

it was set correctly.

Ok, no offense meant. You are going to have to look for another reason the clutch pack burned up then.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Well,  You did not fix the cause with the parts replacement.

Various items to check: pump side clearance,, clutch pack clearance, Valve bore wear in the valve body.

What kit was used in the trans?

Were all bushings replaced?

was there a pressure test  done?

Converter  replaced?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

z-71 pro.

Quote from: "z-71 pro."

it was set correctly.

Ok, no offense meant. You are going to have to look for another reason the clutch pack burned up then.
none taken.  the clutch pack wasnt burned up when i rebuilt it though

z-71 pro.

Quote from: "Crosley"Well,  You did not fix the cause with the parts replacement.

Various items to check: pump side clearance,, clutch pack clearance, Valve bore wear in the valve body.

What kit was used in the trans?

Were all bushings replaced?

was there a pressure test  done?

Converter  replaced?
all that checked, the kit was a tci trans-scat valve body kit, the heavy duty mod. i put that in because the old plate looked kinda rough. my tranny guy thought that a check ball could have got stuck.