FWD 1970 Chevelle

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 25, 2010, 10:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

enjenjo  wanted to see this photo
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I asaked Tony to post a picture of the front wheel drive Chevelle he built. Pretty nice car.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

34ford

Tony,

Have anymore pictures and information? we like pictures  :D  :D

Charlie Chops 1940

'79-'85 Riv/Toro/Eldo or earlier Toro/Eldo adptation? Big tires on the front?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Unusual and impressive!  

I'll bet she drove good in those Phoenix snow storms. :wink:
George

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"'79-'85 Riv/Toro/Eldo or earlier Toro/Eldo adptation? Big tires on the front?

Charlie

66 Toro drivetrain, blown 350 SBC. Tony doesn't claim the scoop. I'll let him tell you the rest.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

did  I see a picture of that car years ago in car craft/hot rod? It sure looks familiar to me.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "chimp koose"did  I see a picture of that car years ago in car craft/hot rod? It sure looks familiar to me.

yes, there were articles on the car in several magazines when we owned it.

8)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

the  engine in the car was a 6-71 blown 355 motor.  10% over driven on the blower.  Dual Holley 600 cfm carbs on the engine.  Custom headers built by Greg Holman  who owns  REF which is now located in Kingman AZ

I removed the front trans hump on the interior , so when you looked in the windows the floor was flat in front of the seat.

Engine was adapted to a t-425 trans axle that was also a switch pitch torque converter.  Front sub frame was from a 1966  Toronado .  I bought the whole Toronado from a car lot on Van Buren street in Phoenix AZ

It is a weird feeling to have tire smoke rolling by the front window when you plant your foot on the loud pedal.  Also which ever way the road slants to... the car follows when the front tires are spinning.  Torque steer was huge with this car.

You had to learn throttle modulation  on trans shifts.  On hard shifts I would lift the throttle  to close the secondarys , then shift,  then open the secondarys back up on the carbs... the FIRST time I pulled a wide open 1 - 2 shift , the transaxle spit the drive chain out the cover  and proceeded to dump out about 8 quarts of trans fluid

I had a line - loc on the rear brakes...  I could set the rear brakes and drag the rear  tires with throttle.  You talk about people  staring at you in traffic, it was fun.

I named the car "The Brain Teaser"  since it really did not look FWD till you really looked close.

:shock:
Tony