Front End Shake

Started by 348tripower, July 12, 2004, 05:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have a stock Mustang II in my 35 Ford. At 52 to 58 MPH it shakes a lot. I can watch the steering column jump all over the place. Its smooth at other speeds. I have a set of tubular a arms without strut rods. I have changed tire pressures, not much of a change. I set the front end up at ride height with a couple of protractors for alignment. I do know that I need to get it on a alignment rack because the steering does not return all the way without a bit of help. I wouldn't think this would cause a shake. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Don  :roll:
Don Colliau

rooster

Quote from: "348tripower"I have a stock Mustang II in my 35 Ford. At 52 to 58 MPH it shakes a lot. I can watch the steering column jump all over the place. Its smooth at other speeds. I have a set of tubular a arms without strut rods. I have changed tire pressures, not much of a change. I set the front end up at ride height with a couple of protractors for alignment. I do know that I need to get it on a alignment rack because the steering does not return all the way without a bit of help. I wouldn't think this would cause a shake. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Might be a U-Joint starting to go!

Why not check every thing on the front end, rack bolts, inner and outer tie rod ends, welds , ect and get it aligned, sounds like it needs it anyway. Try and find a guy that will work with you on the alignment there may be some future adjustments.

Dusty

I can think of 2 things that I have experienced that caused this same situation.  On my '27 Roadster...Brand new tires...one had a small bulge, bump, what ever you want to call it.  Between 55 & 60, the front end made things rather scarey.  Especially if I was really thrashing it.  The dealer changed the tire and the "Shakey Jake" went away.  I only had about 55 miles, on the car and tire.  The 2nd time was on the '54 chevy pickup...not enough caster...The front end would shimmey at about 60 and almost every time I hit a bump, such as rough RR Tracks.....Almost like a Tank slapper on a bike, and the wheel return needed help after making a turn.  After getting more caster rolled into the Front end (Camero Clip)  everything went back to normal......I hope this helps...

Benny
Orange, Texas
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

enjenjo

I have had tire do this, but more likely caster. That would help the steering to center too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom

i have usually found that a caster shimmy occurrs, as dusty said, after hitting a rough bump, such as RR tracks. it is usually a very violent shake that continues to a point where the car is slowed, almost to a stop.  i would check for an out of line wheel, slipped belt in a tire, egg shaped tire, etc. sounds more of a balance problem and all the before mentioned items will affect balance. try to get the front wheels balanced and go from there. good luck

Mikej

Probably the tires but check your shocks too.

348tripower

Thanks for the input! I have to wait untill next week to get the front end aligned. My son inlaw has a muffler, brake, shock, alignment business and he is in Canada fishing.  I'll take all of this valuable info along to support the theory of not enough caster. The alignment will be the quickest and easiest to do. If this does not cure the problem, new tires will be next. I will let everyone know what the out come is. The tires, if needed, will he to wait till after Louisville. :lol:
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

You can use more than the caster recommended for a stock Mustang without ill effects, up to 7 or 8 degrees.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "348tripower"The tires, if needed, will he to wait till after Louisville. :lol:
Don

if it's the tires you might want to get them before louisville. i had the shimmy on a tire that came apart, when i got a new tire the shimmy was gone, imagine that :D

later jim`
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Leon

I've got that problem on my Torino at about 47 MPH, have replaced everything and had it aligned - nothing has cured it.  It has changed slightly with each change but not gone.  I've inspected the chassis for broken welds, etc. and can't find anything wrong so I just don't drive 47 :lol:

rooster

A guy I run with has similar problems! Vibration in the steering column and right front
wheel bounces at a certain speed (52). If he increases speed it go away. It does not do it
all the time though. I actually took a video of his tire bouncing (air born) going down the
hiway.
So far he has replaced the kingpins, shocks, tiers & wheels (an balanced),and got it
aligned. None of this was a cure!

He did find that the GM steering box had some broken rivets, he repaired that, but is
keeping a close eye on it!

He has a 38 ford coupe with a Super Bell 4"droped axle, Gm brake conversion, Gm
steering box.

No fix found yet!

34ford

Thought someone might mention this by now so here goes.
I had a small vibration on my Explorer that shows up at 55mph. I had new tires put on since it was time and thought that would do it. Thought one tire was out of balance and causing the vibration. Took it back to the tire shop the next day and told them which wheel I thought it was on the front. Pulled off both wheels and checked the balance and they were right on. The one wheel has a ever so slight of bend or run out for lack of better terms. When they hand rotated it on the machine and placed a stationary object by the edge of the wheel there was a spot where it showed about a 1/16th gap for about 8". So long story short you might have a ever so slightly bent rim. Maybe borrow a different set of wheels and tires from someone and give that a try that too.

bob

Dave

Quote from: "348tripower"I have a stock Mustang II in my 35 Ford. At 52 to 58 MPH it shakes a lot. I can watch the steering column jump all over the place. Its smooth at other speeds. I have a set of tubular a arms without strut rods. I have changed tire pressures, not much of a change. I set the front end up at ride height with a couple of protractors for alignment. I do know that I need to get it on a alignment rack because the steering does not return all the way without a bit of help. I wouldn't think this would cause a shake. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Ok my input to all with shimmy shake...
number 1 .. wheel bearings specially if you have an after market kit. Seems the castle nuts may leave the bearings too loose after backing them off one slot for the cotter pin. To fix it make a shim or 2 to take up the slack. Number 2.. I spent 3 years working on a shake(shimmy) on my 34 coupe. End result the bolt pattern in the rotor was drilled over a 100 thousands off center.. Yup i should have checked that sooner.. I have a little shake in the 32 and i figure its from the balancing of the tires from the tennessee tire and rubber and screen door company but ive got a socal dampner on it and its not bad so ill run with it for a while. If you saw the stick on weights on the wheels you would ????? dunno how theyeven got em close..

Dave :roll:
Oh ya They sell airplanes i think too ??? maybe just airplane tires :lol:

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks,

I have a strut rod MII on my 40 Chevy. I chased the shakes for about 10 years. Last year I went to a set of GM ralleys and new tires and it became a new car. I won't know whether it was tires or wheels until I use the wheels again, but I put the old tires on my Mullins trailer and can't feel a thing. Had the alignment done a couple times and it always needed a little more caster than the MII settings to return the wheel after a turn.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!