Removed 40 vent windows

Started by Okiedokie, January 11, 2010, 11:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Got all the glass in my coupe except for door glass. I need to address the fuzzies before installing door glass. I have the channels in place, but am unsure of what to do with fuzzies. They will need to curve upward at each end to meet the channel. Any thoughts on how to accomplish that task?

papastoyss

Are you talking about the strips that seal the door glass to the garnish molding & door skin? Commonly  called cat whiskers? If so, I cut them longer than needed & bend by hand over the largest round object lying around. They usually need tweaking or some plastic hammer work for final fit & trim. Oh yeah, always buy some extra for those OOPS.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Okiedokie

Yes, that is what I am referring to. Maybe the strips I have are the wrong ones. No way to form them in a curve as far as I can tell. When I started this I assumed I would use repro 39 coupe fuzzies but apparently I was wrong. Joe

UGLY OLDS

I buy "fuzzy" strips in a 8' length from my local glass supplier.
Or...Look here.......

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009%20Catalog%20ebook/2009%20Catalog%20ebook.pdf

Chrome bead or black . Your choice...It will bend easily by hand to conform to any radius in the window opening.  I install it with pop rivits ( .125 diam)  into the window opening edge.  Make SURE the rivet heads go UNDER the level of the fuzzy strip surface....  Glass rubbing on metal DOES NOT work..... :shock:

For a more "finished" look, flatten the chrome bead on the end & run it under the channel to hide it .... 8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Thanks Bob, that is where I bought what I have. Obviously not the correct stuff. Back to the catalog. Joe