Carpet

Started by tonto1, December 29, 2009, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

What do you guys normally use to hold the carpet in place?
It has to be removable to get to the master cylinder.

On another note, what is the general feeling of Kanter Auto Parts?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "tonto1"What do you guys normally use to hold the carpet in place?
It has to be removable to get to the master cylinder.

Gee......I don't want to beat the drum, :oops: , but this has always worked pretty good for me .....  :D  The down side is that it's pretty pricey...The last 8' strip I bought was about $5.00 at the H-D store ... :lol:  

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6626

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Harry

You can buy aluminum tack  strip to go on the edge. It has those nasty little spikes sticking up.

enjenjo

Velcro. Enough said.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

That's the answer I wanted to hear

enjenjo

On Kanter, I have used them in the past with no problems. I do have a couple issues though.

Most of the suspension parts are made off shore, which is pretty normal now days. But the last kit I bought from them had all metric fasteners in it, incuding the ball joint bolts, and the nuts to secure them to the spindle, and the tie rod end stud nuts. Every thing fit fine, but the metric fasteners was a new one on me. I did hear that some are finding out of round problems with their brake drums, but I also hear they will take care of it no problem.

On the engine kits, most parts are also sourced off shore, including valve lifters. And the prices are not that great. There are other sources with brand name parts that are comparably priced.

In case you did not know, PST is another arm of Kanter
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

When looking for carpet for my car, I settled on Kanter, because their claim was guaranteed premolded perfect fit.
So, I called and described the car as a 1949 Dodge Coronet Club Coupe.
The 5 window Coupe, not the 3 window Business Coupe
Well, sure enough, what came is probably made for the business cpe because it's almost 24" short front to back.
I called and we talked an I sent pictures and they wanted me to send in the old carpet to use as a pattern, which I didn't want to do because I didn't fit anyhow.
Then I suggested that they send a 24" wide piece of carpet to cover the gap, which, thinking back was a mistake on my part. They said if I wanted to wait another 4 to 6 weeks they would see about it. Things started going downhill then. I told them they should satisfy their current customers before they move on to the next ones.
Bottom line is; I had the charge removed from my credit card, ordered a matchimg piece from another, that came 3 days later.
I bought carpet to fit. They agreed to sell carpet that fit.
That didn't happen and they should have sent a UPS Shipper Return to send it back.
Needless to say, I'm not happy with them!!!

UGLY OLDS

If you are adding 24" to the back of the carpet that was too short, think about this ... :idea:

I assume you are working with 2 straight edged pieces.... if so, get a strip of the tape that carpet layers use to attach pieces of wall to wall carpet...It has some "never lets go" adhesive that is activated by heat..     ( Think electric clothes iron when Mom's at bingo or shopping ....Use aluminum foil or something between the iron & carpet to hide the "evidence" .... :idea: )

Use velcro as Frank suggested to hold the carpet in place in the "field " or middle areas & use your door scuff moldings or the mirror channel  that I use at the door openings ...IMPORTANT...DO NOT use the carpet tape within 2" or so from the edge....It will be too thick to be held by the molding.....With any luck the tape attached edge will be under the front seat after installation & will be in a "low-wear" area.... 8)

Again.....Jus' Noodlin'......... :D

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tonto1

I haven't looked at it real closely yet, but it seems that the front of the carpet from Kanter will fit against the firewall and the rear piece from Kanter will go just under the rear seat. Which leaves a gap a little less than 24" under the front seat, which will actually only show from the seat out to the sill plates.
My hope is to go under both of those pieces with the filler carpet.
But it may be as you said and be to thick.

tonto1

I guess what bothered me the most was Kanter's unwillingness to fix the problem.
It was more like, it's your problem, not ours.

My father was a small business man most of his life and that was not how I was taught to keep customers.

junkyardjeff

The sill plates should keep the carpet from moving around and when I made a carpet for my 37 chevy p/u I put snaps on all four corners to keep it in place.