Another bodywork question

Started by chimp koose, December 22, 2009, 02:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

OK here is the next problem,surface rust. What is the best solution to dealing with panels that have a complete coating of rust? This rust is not flaky or anything like that but when sanded it seems to get shiny but not disappear.My entire grill shell is coated with an even coating of rust that seems to have a death grip on the part.

papastoyss

There are various acids, chemicals that will remove rust, but I prefer good old sand blasting,wipe it donw w/thinner & prime w/ DP90.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

38HAULR

Simple hardware store "rust converters".
Brush or wipe on,surface then turns black.
Frank.

chimp koose

How do you prep them for paint/primer? Any special precautions?Thanks for the replies.

enjenjo

On something like a grille shell, I would use Metal Prep, triple etch. A couple applications should remove all of it. Scrub it in with steel wool and rubber gloves. Then DP40, and then finish prime.

An alternative is Oxysolve, it does a nice job too. In any case it is worth removing all the rust under finish paint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I am using 36 grit paper and it is now coming off. I guess the 80 grit wasnt scratchy enough.I stripped the paint off with a product called safest stripper by 3m . It worked great. I applied it and then immediately covered it with saran wrap to keep it from drying up. After about an hour I rubbed the saran into the remover and left it for a few more hours. When I removed the wrap most of the paint lifted off with the wrap. I stayed away from body seams so that I didnt get any product trapped between seams.

39deluxe

I have used the Oxysolve for years. Great stuff.

Tom

chopshopcustoms

Quote from: "chimp koose"OK here is the next problem,surface rust. What is the best solution to dealing with panels that have a complete coating of rust? This rust is not flaky or anything like that but when sanded it seems to get shiny but not disappear.My entire grill shell is coated with an even coating of rust that seems to have a death grip on the part.

send it to a sandblaster and let them deal with it- worth every penny not to have to do it yourself.
Lenny Schaeffer
Chop-Shop Customs
Woburn MA
www.chop-shopcustoms.com