Bob Drake rear slider window for '40 Ford pickups

Started by Topsterguy, December 13, 2009, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I recently bought one of Drake's new slider windows for my 40 pickup, and would advise anyone that's considering one to check it out thorouthly first! They don't fit worth **** ! I followed the instructions exactly, had the glass cut exactly, and when fitting it in to the existing rails in the cab found that the glass would fall out of the tracks! ( the cab is untouched and mint, nothing's out of place) Also found that the handles and rubber seals were too short, and should have been left long so they could be trimmed to fit. (after talking to 2 of their "customer service reps" they agreed as well!) They also said the tracks should've been 1/2" - 5/8" tall, and mine were 3/8". The handle problem leaves a good sized gap top and bottom for water to come in( see pic). I solved the fit problem with rubber shimming ( see pic). Overall I found dealing with the 2 "customer service guys" a joke and lost cause. They seemed to have the attitude that they were " Bob Drake and who are you , we've never had this problem before!" Bottom line, emails not answered, parts not sent, and the common " I'll make it work I guess" in the end!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

57larry

good to know, thanks, I have thought about buying one for my 40 truck project. I only buy parts from Drake at the NSRA Nats cause his shipping is crazy. you're right about customer service, a bunch of smart asses

Topsterguy

Quote from: "57larry"good to know, thanks, I have thought about buying one for my 40 truck project. I only buy parts from Drake at the NSRA Nats cause his shipping is crazy. you're right about customer service, a bunch of smart asses

Re-smart asses......I mentioned to one of them that I could use the rubber seal as well that I could trim to size. About a week later I got a package from them with a  rubber cowl lacing kit in it! Nothing to do with or even close to what was in the window kit ! When I talked to them on the phone cuz they didn't respond to my emails the guy says " what do you want now, we've already sent you most of the kit!" Needless to say the conversation ended shortly after that!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Harry

Shoulda sent the thing back.
Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter leave a lot to be desired.
I bought a gas tank for my '51 from B&W on Hutchinson Rd. Paid good bucks for it. A week later Bob Drake has a sale cheaper than B&W can buy them. What a * way to treat people.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Harry"Shoulda sent the thing back.
Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter leave a lot to be desired.
I bought a gas tank for my '51 from B&W on Hutchinson Rd. Paid good bucks for it. A week later Bob Drake has a sale cheaper than B&W can buy them. What a crappy way to treat people.

Yeah I know, BUT, I'm into it for $75 in glass, it's pretty much installed, I'd have to pay the shipping, and then start all over again with new glass etc for the stock window. It doesn't mean anything to them, they just "write it off", so I'd be shooting myself in the foot.
Personally, I will not deal with Drake's people again, they're not the only game in town.

Okiedokie

I thought that kit required some mods to the structure around the window? Is that correct? Dealing with Drakes staff is never fun for me, they seem to not care if they understand you. Joe

Topsterguy

You have to cut 2 upright struts out and replace them with 4 pieces  in the kit, which I just found out don't fit right either! I've run up against their "attitude" before and this experience did it for me - I won't deal with them again. They just don't give a **** !