wiring issue

Started by countryss, December 07, 2009, 07:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryss

I started wiring my car with a ron francis kit and got to the point where i can start the car to check the charging system. the engine cranks now when the key is in the on position not the start. if that makes sense. so i insert the key turn it once and it begins to crank without me turning the key to the start position. i know its got to do something with the ignition switch but not sure what. any ideas??

enjenjo

Somehow you have the start circuit connected to the ignition circuit. It will be a purple wire for the start circuit, pink for ignition. mosy likely place is at the ignition switch, or possibly at the fuse block.

What column are you using? Stick or auto trans?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

countryss

wayne petty

how many small wires on the starter solenoid????///

one or two????

the S terminal is at 3 o clock... that should get a purple wire...

the R terminal is at 9 o clock...   that wire is hooked to the positive side of the coil.....

if the wire for the R terminal gets hooked to the S terminal .. you will have a car that cranks when you turn the key to the RUN position..

it is also possible that other wires have been crossed somewhere else...

how about a part number of the harness you installed... so some of us could look at the wiring diagram and see any possible errors that might have happened...

enjenjo

It will preobably be what Wayne said, or the pink and purple wires crossed at the ignition switch, or fuse block.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

countryss

ok. so what happened was i ran a wire from the coil to the solenoid on the starter which was giving it volts at the start position. that problem is solved. thanks all who chimed in.