Anybody know anything about 2.5L Jeep engines?

Started by 348tripower, November 29, 2009, 02:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I just swapped out a 1992 engine for a 1985. The 92 had a wrist pin come out a ruin the block. The 85 was really cheap.
Anyway, I put all of the serpentine stuff on the 85. After I put it in the Jeep I noticed the Balancer is out 1/2 further than the other pulleys. I check it and the bolt and washer are bottomed out on the end of the crank.
Obviously the cranks are different. I am thinking can make a spacer to put under the crank bolt washer to pull the balancer in further.
Anybody got a clue if this will work?
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Is this the 85 balancer, or the 92 balancer? Mopar 2.5? Mitsu 2.5?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

before you drive it all the way on...   can you take it off and match it up to the other balancer?? if you have it...

there is a break in the part number in the harmonic balancers at 1990...   earlier ones are one number and later ones another number... i cannot find any pictures of the later ones that show the back side ...

seems the timing chains and gears are the same..

if you have both motors... can you measure the length of the crank snout from the end to the crank gear????

this probably won't help at all.. but i thought i would kick in in..

will the dampener pound in gently ???  i would think a spacer could be made of the crank sprocket off the old motor...    and it would fit nice and tight..     you might actually want to use a die grinder with a sand paper roll to open the clearances a tiny bit..  so it fits tight.. but makes it a slip fit.. instead of a press fit.. or a hammer fit..  you might make sure the teeth don't interfere with the puller holes.. so if it does get stuck... you can still pull the balancer off..

the difference might have been put in place by the diet division.... you want to save a bit of weight.. cut off a half inch of crank snout.. save weight..

348tripower

Frank, 92 balancer. They call it an AMC motor? Wayne, I understand you! :shock:
Don Colliau

enjenjo

Quote from: "348tripower"Frank, 92 balancer. They call it an AMC motor? Wayne, I understand you! :shock:

Well, I would measure the crank to make sure the balancer will go in far enough, then use a spacer if need be.

I'm guessing it's an AMC 6 with two cylinders wacked off then. Between AMC and Mopar they used several 2.5 engines in Jeeps.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

If you still have the '85 damper I'd compare it to the '92 from the back. 1/2" on the front of an engine might be the difference between the front seal leakin or the cam gear/sprocket walking out and cutting into the back of the case. Might also compare the timing marks to the key slots so when you try to check the timing you won't be surprised. Of course my mind is stuck in the '70s when HEI was new but I also wouldn't have thrown ant old parts away until I had the thing running. GPster

348tripower

Thanks for all the input gang. I have not gone back to check this out yet. I am sorting out a fuel injector problem. I picked up a new one yesterday and low an behold it was bad. :cry:  So I will try again tonight. the problem with this world is the lack of parts on the shelf. Everybody has leaned out to the point it takes at least a day to get parts.
Don Colliau