firewall clearance?

Started by moose, November 30, 2009, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

The firewall is in the coupe. I put the block and trans case back in to mock up the trans tunnel toe board front floorboard area.

Plans are to eventully run a full hood. Louvered! My concern is when I made the firewall I extended it to the bottom of the cowl. I did this for the clean look. I am now second guessing myself. The factory firewall ends at the toe board. This is for air movement for cooling at least that is my understanding. SO my question is if I leave the firewall fully extended how much will this affect cooling? I still can modify the firewall but need to before I continue to plan out the interior panels.

Tim

Leon

With the room you have between the engine and frame rails, I wouldn't think that you'll have a problem, but on the other hand if you did want to change it now would be the time...

GPster

I built a Model A coupe years ago and made my firewall go clear down to the frame and the engine was low enough in the frame that I only needed to build the hump in the floor for the bellhousing. Then when I got to mounting the pedals I found that hump uncomfortable for me to get my feet to the pedals. I then built a toeboard that was flat against the top of the hump and went straight accross from one side to the other of the car. It made it easier for my feet to find the pedals and made for a nice flat floor that was easy to carpet and keep clean. But it left Two triangular dead spaces under the toeboard to the top of the frame and foreward to the firewall. I think a toeboard is necessary for comfort. If you build the firewall clear down and the floor all the way foreward you're building two more sides of an empty space. I left mine, will it bother you?  GPster