S-10 axle codes

Started by reborn55, November 12, 2009, 04:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reborn55

Bought my wife a 48 Chevy coupe to replace the one I sold a couple of years back--starting to get out of the doghouse finally.  Anyway--it has what i believe is an S-10, Blazer 4wd rear end.  What I need is a link to stamped axle codes.  I have found the code on the tube--UBT--and need to cross reference it to see what year it it any other info.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

enjenjo

Looks like an 80 or 81 Malibu rear with a 2.29 ratio.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

really--Po said it was 3:42 and at 60 it is pushing close to 3 grand.  UBT also equates to 3:42 oi an S-10, Blazer, etc.  Guess I will crawl back under there.  Didn't the Malibus have coil spring suspension--this still has the original leaf perches on it.

reborn55

numbers off housing     UBT  C022 1
Casting number  26027171
A13 83 N  
GM 27  K

enjenjo

The Julian date says your rear was built in 1983. The info I have did not go that new. Fatcat has my newer book. I'll see if he will look it up for me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

I found that it may be a rear end from the mid nineties--possibly 93.  Have spent a couple of hours Googling, etc and have found very little info on the axle stamping.

GPster

Does it have electronic speed sensors in the backing plates? I got into them when I changed to a 4x4 rear end for width under by Jeepster. I had saved the brake pieces from the 2wd rear end that I had removed hoping that they would be usuable spares and out of the mess I could at least get a pair of usuable emergency brake cables. The speed sensors relied on different drums and different backing plates to allow room for them to fit and operate and now I can't remember how much else was different. For me it was easier to pull the inspection cover and check the gears condition. The number of teeth for the ring gear and the matching pinion were stamped on the ring gear (I think I remember) and simple division gave me the ratio.But I haven't checked mine either. Just wanted to get it when it became available and wanted to get it installed to keep the frame a "roller" so I could get the body set on it. That was probably a year ago. GPster

reborn55

Finally found dome info an teh rear end---UBT  equates to 91-93 S-10, Olds Bravada, GMC typhoon
Thanks for the help

Just about the same width of he NOva in the ragtop